CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, ANN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379913.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:19:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, ANN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 31289 05135
TQ3105SW ANN STREET 577-1/27/6 (North side) 13/10/52 Church of St Bartholomew
Anglican church. 1872-4, the completion date recorded on the north-west porch. Designed by Edmund Scott for the Rev. Arthur Douglas Wagner. Yellow brick set in English bond with dressings of red brick and Portland stone, roof of slate. PLAN: nave and chancel under a single roof, since the east end was not completed (all directions are ritual). EXTERIOR: the east end is blank with 2 buttresses with 3 slight offsets, and a gable now covered with slate. The south side is 9 bays long, almost sheer, and detailed in each bay, from the base of red brick, with trefoiled lancets set in a flat-arched architrave of stone under a pointed-arched moulding of brick, the sills and lintels being connected by broad bands of stone; brick dentil cornice, above which the wall is set back slightly between piers which have the effect of buttresses at clerestory level; stone quatrefoils at triforium level; dentil cornice and a shallow lean-to roof to accommodate a further set-back; the clerestory windows are simple broad lancets with splayed sills, deep reveals and heads of unmoulded brick under a moulded brick headmould and string; Lombard frieze of moulded brick and stone; brick dentil cornice, arcaded parapet. The north side corresponds, so far as visible, to the south. The west end is sheer to the gable between angle buttresses. Round-arched portal to centre with 4 orders of stone columns and arches of moulded red brick; 2 flat-arched entrances with doors of original design having bold wrought-iron hinges; stained glass to the tympanum. Broad bands of stone above, continuous with the sides of the church with, between them, a statue of St Bartholomew in a gabled and crocketed niche, over the portal; above this a band of diaper work in red brick; brick dentil cornice; 4 lancets with continuous brick hoodmould; above this hoodmould the wall is divided into layers by bands of ashlar, the brickwork having diaper work in red brick standing a little proud; rose window with surround of moulded brick and a roundel of tile work on either side; 4-light opening in gable and cross to apex. North-west porch with segmental-arched entrance and coped parapet. With a ridge plate 42 metres high, St Bartholomew's is the tallest parish church in Britain. INTERIOR: the church is a single space faced in yellow brick with red brick dressings; the chancel, which occupies the 2 easternmost of the nine bays, being raised by 5 steps from the nave. Baldacchino designed by Henry Wilson and erected in 1899-1900, abutting the east end, with antae and pilasters supporting round arches, the antae faced principally in red marble with alabaster foliage capitals of Byzantine inspiration, the superstructure in green with a band of lozenge-patterned marble and a billet moulding forming a cornice; the interior vault of the baldacchino inlaid with gold mosaic and mother-of-pearl. The altar is raised by 7 steps above the sanctuary and is set against a low wall of pinkish marble which runs under the baldacchino; altar frontal decorated with painted panels by S Bell of 1874; tabernacle door of silver repousse work, by Henry Wilson. The lower part of the east wall is decorated with figure panels in mosaic designed by F Hamilton Jackson in 1911, the central panel, framed by the baldacchino, depicting Christ in glory, with angels in marble panels to the sides. The sanctuary is raised by a single step above the chancel, and has 2 short communion rails of brass, designed by Henry Wilson and introduced in about 1905, with balusters decorated with medallions in blue enamel and foliage openwork between; at each of the 2 front corners of the sanctuary is a candlestick, designed by Henry Wilson, about 15 feet high and consisting of a tapering column of grey and white Tuscan marble and a bronze candleholder with elaborate knop. To either side of the chancel are oak choir stalls with a lettered frieze, designed by Henry Wilson. The east wall above the mosaic and marble work is decorated with panels and diaper work in red brick with a crucifix over the baldacchino designed by S Bell, partly painted and partly incised on encaustic tiles. The side walls are set out as an arcade, some 5 feet deep, with side chapels etcetera in the recesses; the arcade consists of internal buttresses in the form of flat piers of brick with a stone moulding at the springing supporting pointed arches of red brick; vault shafts in red brick; the spandrels and above decorated with courses of stone and blue and red brick as far as a brick dentil course; then a range of 3 blank lancets with heads of red brick in each bay; then clerestory windows with deep embrasures and a triforium passage; Lombard frieze to wall plate. West end above gallery level continues the treatment of the side walls, and there is a 4-bay arcade in front of the lancet windows with a rose window above set back under a pointed arch along the base of which runs a trefoiled balustrade. Pointed-arched roof of timber with crown-post trusses. The pulpit, designed by Henry Wilson and erected in 1906, has the background of a polygonal screen of red marble set into one of the north recesses, through which a stair leads to a small marble pulpit; in front of this is a gallery running the width of the recess with a central polygonal bay and a balustrade of green Irish marble, the whole balcony carried on columns of red African marble with stone foliage capitals of Byzantine inspiration; wooden sounding board over. Lady altar in one of the south recesses designed by Henry Wilson in 1902 with frontal in silver-plate decorated with repousse work and more repousse work to the gradine. Octagonal font designed by Henry Wilson in 1908 with panels of green marble framed in copper, the whole set out on a semicircular plinth of black marble steps against a background of marble lining the recess, and a statue of John the Baptist, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and carved by WD Gough, in 1925. In the westernmost bay to the north, underneath the gallery, is an altar under an ornately panelled and gilded coving with bands of ornament in a late Gothic style. The wooden gallery, designed by Henry Wilson in 1906 with a bow to the centre, is carried on 2 piers, basically square in plan but with ornate profiles, and the underside of the gallery is divided into panels, the ribs decorated with billet ornament and painted. Organ of 1901 by JW Walker and Son. Stained glass: windows over the Lady Chapel and the second-to-fourth after that by WE Tower; that next to the Lady Chapel by Bewsey. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Holmes RJG: Church of St Bartholomew, Brighton: Brighton: 1975-).
Listing NGR: TQ3129005133
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)
Holmes, R J G , Church of St Bartholomew Brighton, (1975)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing