Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1379943

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1999

Statutory Address: Former Carmel College, Mongewell Park, Wallingford, OX10 8BU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:08:09.

Location

Statutory Address: Former Carmel College, Mongewell Park, Wallingford, OX10 8BU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Crowmarsh

National Grid Reference: SU 60953 87764

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/05/2018

SU 68 NW 472/2/10010

CROWMARSH MONGEWELL PARK Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College

(Formerly listed as Jewish Synagogue at Carmel College)

GV II Synagogue. 1963 by Thomas Hancock; John Toovey assistant designer; Anthony Hunt engineer. Concrete block end walls; that to east end is elliptical and said to be six feet thick. With four timber posts, it supports a sweeping timber roof, upper covering not seen. Curtain wall glazing to sides and projecting entrance.

Rectangular plan dominated by the soaring roof structure, which gives asymmetry to the building. Synagogue is in higher part of the building to east; entrance hall to west has been subdivided to form two classrooms. Curtain wall glazing in aluminium frames, incorporating doors in similar style. West and east ends with glass by Nehemia Azaz, that to east in tall vertical corner strips and made in the dalle de verre technique of thick glass nuggets set directly into concrete. Sculpture of the Burning Bush also by Azaz at entrance to building, of wood with bronze flames.

Interior. The synagogue has an open timber roof, sounding board and cork floor. In the body of the east wall is the Ark, with panelled timber doors.

Carmel College was founded in 1948 by Rabbi Dr Kopul Rosen, moved to Mongewell in 1953 and closed in 1997. Hancock, a local architect, produced a masterplan for the college in 1960, but this was not adopted in full; the synagogue and the adjoining amphitheatre are the most central, prominent and coherent of the buildings-the most spectacular and successful' on the site, as the Buildings of England states. The flexible planning of the synagogue, its dramatic roof structure and brilliant and innovative artistic glass are comparable with synagogues found in Europe and the United States at this time.

Listing NGR: SU6095387764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 479401

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 712
'Architectural Review' in January, (1963), 16-17

End of official listing