FIRST BASE DAY CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1380368
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
FIRST BASE DAY CENTRE, MONTPELIER PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380368.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 14:34:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
FIRST BASE DAY CENTRE, MONTPELIER PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30180 04635

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004NW MONTPELIER PLACE 577-1/31/533 (North side) 13/10/52 First Base Day Centre (Formerly Listed as: MONTPELIER PLACE St Stephen's Church (Deaf and Dumb Institute))

GV II*

Day centre. A plaque on the building relates that it originally stood in Castle Square, Brighton, and was built in 1766 to the designs of John Crunden as the ballroom of the Castle Tavern; that it became the chapel of the Royal Pavilion in 1822; and that it was moved to its present site in 1852. The pedimented street-front and lantern, but not the broad, single-storey porch are of that date, by Cheeseman; and the church was remodelled by Arthur Blomfield in 1889. In the C20 it has been known as St Stephen's church, and was used by the Sussex Diocesan Association for the Deaf and Dumb; it became a Day Centre in 1988, was badly damaged by fire in that year, and restored. Stucco, roof of Welsh slate. EXTERIOR: the building presents a single pedimented front to Montpelier Place, with the addition of the porch which is divided into 3 bays by paired pilasters with stepped capitals: segmental-arched entrance in the centre with double panelled doors and segmental-arched windows in the outer bays. The main front is divided into 3 bays by single Doric pilasters; plain architrave and dentilled pediment; octagonal lantern at the apex, the lower part sheathed in lead, the upper part an open arcade between pilasters; tent-like roof; the return elevations have round-arched windows and transepts, that to the west very shallow; single-storey extension to the east of the original building with flat-arched entrance. INTERIOR: the interior is in the Adam style and consists of a single principal space, the walls articulated with pilasters whose faces are decorated with griffins, urns, palmettes and repeating calyx forms, with palm-leaf capitals; the central portion of each wall is recessed with an arrangement of pilasters and columns, similarly detailed, distyle in antis; entablature with frieze of urns enclosed in ovals, missing at the south-west corner; segmental-arched ceiling with 3 large roses of acanthus ornament. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3018004635

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
480456
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02382/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Chris Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].