This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380499



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3205SW ELM GROVE 577-1/29/280 (North side) 14/01/81 St Wilfrid's flats (Formerly Listed as: ELM GROVE Church of St Wilfrid)


Church, now an old people's home. Foundation stone at west end laid 1932, work completed 1934 (all directions ritual). Designed by HS Goodhart-Rendel, built by George Lynn and Sons Ltd. Brown Keymer brick in Dutch bond, concrete-cased steel and reinforced concrete, roof of pantiles. PLAN: chancel, nave, north and south passage aisles, north and south chapels, tower over the chancel, vestry at north-east corner. EXTERIOR: all windows segmental-arched. The east end is blank. The saddleback tower lies across the width of the church, and is set back twice, very slightly; the broad sides are unwindowed; 2 tall windows to the north, with architraves of slightly recessed brickwork and set between shallow brick buttresses; above them, another pair of windows, less tall and set under a corbelled brick archivolt; cross of blue tiles with gold mosaic joints between these windows. Side chapel to north under catslide roof, its northern face unwindowed, and a window to west, matching those of the nave. Nave formerly of 5 bays, the pier projecting as haunches above the roof. Gabled north-east porch. West end canted slightly in plan, with 2 windows of which only the upper is original. Mansard roof with modern lay-lights inserted. Vestry with 2 tiers of windows, of which only the upper one is original. Screen wall to north side between porch and vestries. INTERIOR: the interior of the church has been wholly altered by the insertion of housing which leaves the south arcade and the space under the tower unencumbered; in the former side chapel to the north, a mural painting by Hans Feibusch, 1940. (RIBA Journal: 1934: vol.41: 234-9).

Listing NGR: TQ3241705259

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Royal Institute of British Architects Journal' in 24 March, (1934), 234-239

National Grid Reference: TQ 32417 05259


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 12:49:24.

End of official listing