CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1380743
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED WALLS, PRESTON DROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380743.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:42:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED WALLS, PRESTON DROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30387 06388

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3006 PRESTON DROVE, Preston 577-1/12/1040 (South side) 13/10/52 Church of St Peter and attached walls (Formerly Listed as: PRESTON DROVE, Preston St Peter's Church or the Old Church)

GV II*

Anglican church. C13, nave heavily restored 1872 by James Woodman with the rebuilding of the north porch and addition of the south vestry; chancel restored in 1878 by Ewan Christian; further restoration of the nave in 1906-7 by PM Johnston after it was gutted by fire. Flint with stone dressings, roof of tiles. Chancel, nave, west tower, north porch, and south vestry. EXTERIOR: east window of 3 stepped lancets; shoulder-arched entrance to south side of chancel, possibly of C19 date, and 3 lancets to north and south sides; 2 lancets to south side of nave, 3 to north, and 2 small shoulder-arched windows near apex of nave gable over chancel. South vestry with external stack and decorative cowled chimney. Angle buttresses to west end of nave. The west tower is square in plan and projects from the centre of the west end; small louvred lancets to north and south, corbel table and pyramidal roof. North porch of flint and timber-framing with panels of brick nogging and steep hipped roof of Horsham stone slab. INTERIOR: the altar is a chest-tomb, said to be of Edward Elrington who died in 1515, the front carved with shields in quatrefoils. The chancel as a whole provides a good ensemble of late Victorian decoration, paid for and partly in memory of the Stanford family of Preston Manor: arcaded wooden reredos of shortly after 1906; stencil decoration to walls; pointed-arched roof, the closely-spaced ribs decorated with stencil painting; choir stalls in broadly Gothic style carved with foliage and figurative ornament; floor paved with tesserae; stained-glass windows in memory of the Stanford family. Early English chancel arch with chamfered detailing. Remains of piscina in the south wall of the nave, and of early C14 wall paintings either side of the chancel arch and between the 2 easternmost windows on the north wall of the nave: Nativity on the north wall, the murder of St Thomas a Becket north of the chancel arch, and St Michael weighing souls to the south. Painting of the Deposition over the entrance to the south vestry, formerly part of the chancel reredos, of late C19 date, with a gilded frame typical of those used by the Pre-Raphaelites; possibly by NHJ Westlake. Wall of flint with brick coping, extending approx 25 metres to the south and approx 30 metres to the north from the west end of the church; 5 buttresses to northern stretch, much rebuilt. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; Guide for visitors to Preston Old Church (St Peters); Information from David Beever, Keeper of Preston Manor).



Listing NGR: TQ3038706388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481067
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide for visitors to Preston Old Church (St Peters)
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02382/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Chris Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].