BRIGHTON STATION INCLUDING TRAIN SHEDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1380797
Date first listed:
30-Apr-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON STATION INCLUDING TRAIN SHEDS, QUEENS ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 15:37:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON STATION INCLUDING TRAIN SHEDS, QUEENS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31026 04922

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004NE QUEEN'S ROAD 577-1/32/730 (North side) 30/04/73 Brighton Station including train sheds (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN'S ROAD Brighton Station (original portion) & Train Sheds on Covered Platforms to north)

II*

Railway station. The original station, of which only the forebuilding remains in part, is of 1841 by David Mocatta; it was enlarged, and the platforms extended, in 1852-4; the train sheds date from 1882-3 and were designed by HE Wallis, and the canopy in front of the station is of the same date. Stucco to the original building, roof obscured by parapet; additions in yellow and brown brick in English and Flemish bonds with red brick dressings, and some timber; the train sheds of cast- and wrought-iron with a roof of glass and timber. EXTERIOR: the forebuildings of 2 and 3 storeys, 15-window range to the original building, with an addition of 3-window range to the west. The original building was Italianate in style, with single-storey wings of 3-window range with a round-arched colonnade between, and shallower wings, also of 3-window range, to the upper floors; the ground floor now consists simply of a flat, stuccoed front with round-arched openings and no original features, except that the (now stuccoed) ground floor of the western addition retains C19 round-arched metal glazing bars. The first floor has flat-arched windows with moulded stucco architraves and alternating triangular and segmental pediments, and long-and-short quoins to the wings; and segmental-arched windows to the western addition. The original building has a modillion cornice, and an attic storey to the wings, with flat-arched architraved windows between pilasters; balustraded parapet between the wings except for a centrepiece, of later date than the original building, consisting of a clock set in a giant foliate moulding resting on the parapet. The iron canopy in front of the station is of 7 equal bays from west to east, with a further longer bay covering the space between the forebuildings and the range of buildings to the east; the first 2 bays from the west are one bay deep from north to south, and the rest is 2 bays deep; the roof is pitched, so that the canopy presents one gable end to Terminus Road and 2 to Queen's Road. The cast-iron columns are fluted in their lower part and rest on an octagonal base, with arcaded capitals; spandrel brackets decorated with sexfoils; the light trusses between bays are decorated with openwork and have Brighton dolphins at their apex; wrought-iron scrolling frieze along the outer faces of the canopy. 3 cast-iron columns flank the traffic entrances to Queen's Road. The train shed is laid out on a slight curve, and consists of cast-iron columns carrying iron trusses and a roof of glass and timber; it is 2-and-a-half bays wide from east to west, and 21 bays long, from north to south, in the principal bays; the half-bay is on the east side and is 12 bays long, narrowing to its northern end; on the west side there is a shallow extension, 9 bays long, to the south, and the 10 bays to the north of that have a screen wall of yellow brick with blank arcading. The cast-iron columns are quatrefoil in plan on octagonal bases,with fluted capitals; they are stamped 'PATENT SHAFT AND AXLETREE CO 1882 WEDNESBURY'; the north-south spandrels are filled with openwork decorated with Brighton's dolphins, and the main trusses form segmental curves under a pitched roof with scissor-trusses between. East of the forebuildings is a range of mainly single-storey buildings, in yellow brick with red-brick dressings, and round-arched and segmental openings: 7 openings to the shallower, southern end, 12 to the northern end; flanking piers and a cornice and parapet form frames around these openings; there is a wooden, first-floor addition over the northern end. Return in Terminus Road: probably largely designed by HE Wallis, 1882; yellow brick laid in English bond with dressing of red brick; there are 3 stages, starting from the south: (1) a 2-storey range of 13 windows, divided into 5 bays, with various ground-floor openings now much altered, and first-floor windows in groups of 2 and 3 with stepped segmental arches in gauged red brick; stepped red brick parapet; (2) a single-storey range of 4 bays windowed as for the 2-storey range and with stacks rising from the piers; (3) a screen wall of 4 bays divided into bays with a red brick cornice as in the earlier stages. North of this the wall is largely rebuilt. The station is built on a steep slope from east to west, and there are underbuildings in Trafalgar Street and on the east side of the building, in brown brick with red brick dressings; the easternmost range of the station forecourt buildings, designed by HE Wallis, 1882, is carried out over the yard on cast-iron columns with decorative openwork brackets. David Mocatta was architect to the London and Brighton Railway Company, and designed many stations and bridges on the London-to-Brighton line. (Carder T: The Encyclopedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).



Listing NGR: TQ3102604922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481121
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16394/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].