Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380934.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 17:04:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30962 04225



TQ3004SE SHIP STREET 577-1/39/845 (West side) 02/03/81 Former Holy Trinity Church (Formerly Listed as: SHIP STREET Holy Trinity Church)


Nonconformist chapel. 1817. To the designs of Amon Wilds for Thomas Read Kemp. (All directions are ritual.) The chapel was consecrated as an Anglican chapel of ease in 1826 and considerably lengthened at that time; chancel added 1869 in place of former vestry; interior alterations and south front carried out in 1885-7 to the designs of George Somers Clarke junior and John Thomas Micklethwaite, the latter dated 1886 on the fleche. Stucco, knapped flint with stone dressings; roof obscured by parapet. The front to Ship Street is Gothic in style and executed in flint and stone. EXTERIOR: a single-storey narthex extends across most of the west front from the north, with 3 pointed-arched entrances with scroll- and roll-mouldings, the 2 northernmost set in architraves of pinnacled shafts and ogee hoodmould with crockets; chamfered corner; parapet of chequerwork. The upper part of this front is symmetrical: 3 pointed-arched 2-light windows separated by buttresses, the centre window taller and under a pointed arch slung between the buttresses; low window to either side with chequerwork parapets; to the centre, the parapet steps up to first stage of the tower which converts, with splayed corners, from square to octagon; the octagon has pointed-arched windows in each face, each with 2 lights and one transom; embattled openwork parapet; fleche. The return in Duke Street is faced with stucco for the most part, broadly symmetrical, but now altered: 2 storeys, 9- or 10-window range, and all but the 2 westernmost windows now blank, the easternmost partly cut off by the 1885-7 work. The front originally read as 2 slightly projecting sections of 3-window range with 2 windows between them and one at either end, the openings being grouped under a 2-storey, round-arched arcade. Ground floor decorated with banded rustication; 2 pointed-arched entrances of stone inserted and one late C20 flat-arched entrance to the central bay; the windows in the projecting bays are linked by a springing band and archivolts; cornice; panelled frieze; parapet, stepped up, with additional cornice and blocking course, over the projecting bays. A plaque on the west front records the fact that, between 1847 and 1853, the church was made famous by the radical preaching of the Rev. Frederick W Robertson. INTERIOR: chancel of one bay with 5-light east window, and a pair of north and south windows, all round-arched; chancel floor raised 3 steps above the nave; oak panelling to chancel of 1924, stepped forward to form a reredos. Round chancel arch supporting by corbelled shafts. Nave of 8 bays, rectangular in plan with galleries on 3 sides, the 2 easternmost bays narrower than the rest; the galleries carried on columns, probably dating from l869, in a variation of the Composite order, blending Renaissance, Gothic and neo-Grec details; the gallery fronts have raised and fielded panels and are perhaps original. Upper tier of gallery columns support the roof, with cinquefoil, triple lights at this level, in the form of a clerestory. Chancel roof panelled, boarded and barrel-vaulted; nave roof of oak, dating from 1885-7, composed of 8 braced and strutted collar beams; each collar beam supports a strutted king post; the webbing left between the braces and struts is filled by pairs of turned balusters; the ceiling area between the struts is boarded and panelled; the 2 easternmost ceiling bays have a slightly lower pitch; metal ventilating grilles to the central section of the roof. Rooms to 2 floors on either side of chancel. Rooms flanking the nave entered through 4-centred arches from nave and round arches from gallery. Narrow narthex to west end with sliding doors. Late C19 wooden pulpit; baptistery at west end formed from 2 thick and closely-spaced tower buttresses, with late C19 stone font; one mid-to-late C19 gas standard survives attached to north gallery. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3096204225


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02919/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Robert E Priest. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].