CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381058
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jun-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, UPPER NORTH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381058.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 17:10:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, UPPER NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30422 04520

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004NW UPPER NORTH STREET 577-1/31/927 (South side) 10/06/88 Church of St Mary Magdalene and attached walls and railings (Formerly Listed as: UPPER NORTH STREET St Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church)

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1861-2. By Gilbert Blount. Red brick set in English bond with dressings of stone, black brick and blue-glazed brick, spire of stone. 2-bay chancel, nave of 5 bays with north and south aisles, north tower and north-east vestry. EXTERIOR: all openings have stone hoodmoulds with voussoirs above of black and blue-glazed brick, linked to springing bands of the same materials. Window tracery a mixture of geometrical and flamboyant. East window in the form of a spherical triangle with flamboyant tracery. South-east chapel under a pitched roof with angle buttresses, pointed-arched east window with quatrefoil over 3 cusped lancets; 2 south windows with stilted arches and quasi-quatrefoil over 2 cusped lancets. South aisle of 5 bays, the windows pointed-arched with a quatrefoil over 2 cusped lancets, buttresses between the second, third and 4 bays from the west and between the aisle and the south chapel; clerestory of 10 stilted segmental-pointed arches with 2 cusped lancets each. Entrance in western bay of south aisle, shoulder-arched under a pointed arch with multi-moulded arch dying into deep chamfered jambs. The north side is treated in the same way, except that the tower abuts the second bay of the north aisle: tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses; pointed-arched entrance flanked by engaged columns with foliage capitals supporting 2 orders of moulded arches; gabled buttresses to either side with gabled niches for statues; 2 lancets to second stage; paired cusped lancets under a stilted pointed arch to belfry; corbel table; broach spire with 2-light lucarnes. Single-storey vestry partly under a pitched roof with two 3-light cusped windows under a segmental arch flush with the wall, lower parapeted part to west with pointed-arched entrance; low wall to Upper North Street of brick with stone chamfered coping; piers and railings survive west of the tower, but not to the east. (Builder: 3 August 1861, 8 March 1862).



Listing NGR: TQ3042204520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481403
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 8 March, (1862)
'The Builder' in August 3, (1861)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16832/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Noel-Paton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].