PAXTONS HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381202
Date first listed:
27-Jul-2000
Statutory Address:
PAXTONS HEAD, 153, KNIGHTSBRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAXTONS HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:57:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAXTONS HEAD, 153, KNIGHTSBRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27649 79667

Details

WESTMINSTER

TQ2779SE KNIGHTSBRIDGE 153 1900/96/10217 Paxtons Head 27-JUL-00 II

Public house. 1900-02 by G. D. Martin as part of the Park Mansions development. MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings; first floor painted. Timber and glass ground floor facade with larvikite pilasters. Slate-hung Mansard roof. Red brick stack straddling the angle of the roof. PLAN: single ground floor bar (formerly with subdivisions) with island servery. Corridor and stairs to right. Assembly room on first floor. EXTERIOR: 7 storeys. Central entrance (with large fanlight) framed by 2-light, 4-centre-headed window on left, similar single light window on right. Further entrance on far right. On first floor, pairs of 4-centre-headed windows with small panes in the heads, in centre 2-light square-headed window. Second, third and fourth storeys with 3-sided bay windows framing 2-light windows in the centre. Fifth storey with broad segmental headed windows framing a 2-light window. Sixth floor 2-1-2 square-headed window configuration. Dormers in attic storey. INTERIOR: Bar lined with plain and etched glass mirrors under square and semi-circular heads and rising to full height. Island servery with curved ends and fielded panel counter front. Contemporary bar back with ornate detail. Large gantry above counter probably mid C20. Lincrusta ceiling of 2 different patterns, that at the front with foliage trails, that at the back with geometrical designs. Fireplace to rear left with corbelled-out overmantel. Corridor also extensively covered with mirrors. Staircase to first and second floors with flat, pierced cast iron balusters. 2 brass light fittings on the half-landing to first floor. Assembly room with cast iron grill inscribed David Wilson & Co. 77 Lever Street, London EC'; floral tiled borders. Timber panelling to window jambs. Marble fireplace. HISTORY: Licensed premise has occupied the site since at least 1632 when it was known as the King's Head. From the 1760s it became known as the Granby's Head or the Marquis of Granby's Head. In 1851-3 it was rebuilt and took the present name. The building is highly unusual in that it has retained its ancient usage within a large modern development. A fine example of an ornate pub of c.1900 which retains its island servery and many of its other contemporary fittings.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481562
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16620/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top