BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY COLLINGWOOD AND ROBERTSON AND ANOTHER TOMB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381663
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY COLLINGWOOD AND ROBERTSON AND ANOTHER TOMB, LEWES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY COLLINGWOOD AND ROBERTSON AND ANOTHER TOMB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:59:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY COLLINGWOOD AND ROBERTSON AND ANOTHER TOMB, LEWES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32420 05840

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3205NW LEWES ROAD 577-1/23/379 (East side) Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery: Collingwood, Robertson & another tomb

GV II

3 tombs approx 30 metres west of the cemetery chapel (qv). 1: John Collingwood, 1796-1861. By W Burnett. Dressed Portland stone, polished granite and scagliola. In the form of a Gothic tabernacle. The base is square in plan with 2 offsets and 2 recessed quatrefoils to each side inset with scagliola shields; octagonal canopy with pointed arches to the cardinal points having an inner order to the outside and the inside, lower arches to the diagonal faces, and lower arches also flanking the taller ones so as to carry the lower part of the canopy out to the corners of the base where they have squat columns of polished granite shared with the arch on the return; cross-gables above, the spandrels filled with quatrefoil decoration, flanked by pinnacles and gargoyles; the motif of the canopy is roughly and more simply repeated in a stone lantern at the apex. 2: Frederick William Robertson, 1816-1853. Stone, in the form of an Egyptian pylon. The principal inscription faces east, with a bronze plaque above depicting Robertson preaching, modelled in low relief and inscribed 'WE THEN AS AMBASSADORS OF CHRIST'; on the west side is a roundel of the same sort showing Robertson preaching to working men, and subscribed by members of the Mechanics' Institution; both plaque and roundel by Wyon; Horus symbol in the frieze. Robertson had a national reputation as a radical preacher at Holy Trinity Church, Ship Street (qv). 3: A third tomb, with indecipherable inscription. Granite. Greek Revival in style. Rectangular in plan; the lower part resembles a mausoleum with heavily battered sides; the south face is treated as a door decorated with incised double rectangles and an unmoulded canopy above; the upper part resembles a table tomb, the sloping and simply moulded sides interrupted on the east, south and west sides by panels, that to the south being inscribed, and the top consisting of a simple gabled and overhanging slab; decorative ironwork has been removed from the south gable. (Dale A: Brighton Cemeteries: Brighton: 1991-).





Listing NGR: TQ3242005840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482026
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dale, A, Brighton Cemeteries, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16551/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].