WOODVALE CREMATORIUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381673
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
WOODVALE CREMATORIUM, LEWES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODVALE CREMATORIUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:03:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODVALE CREMATORIUM, LEWES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32852 05616

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3205NE LEWES ROAD 577-1/24/389 (East side) Woodvale Crematorium

II

Cemetery chapels (to former Lewes Road cemetery), now crematorium. 1857 with crematorium of 1930. Flint with sandstone dressings, roofs of slate. North (Anglican) and south (Nonconformist) chapels either side of a tower and spire; in front of the tower, a gabled carriage arch under which the hearses passed, emerging on the far side of the tower. EXTERIOR: the carriage arch is pointed, moulded and sub-ordered with an ogee dripmould leading up to a decorated corbel carrying the figure of an angel in the gable; the arch is now closed by a scheme of memorial tablets. Either side of the arch is a single-storey linking wing with a window with intersecting tracery and quatrefoil panelling to the parapet. Tower of 3 stages with corner buttresses and belfry carried up into gabled lucarnes, broach spire, with corner pinnacles now simplified. The 2 chapels are of identical design, presenting gables to east and west: low angle buttresses; east and west windows with geometrical tracery, quatrefoil window to gable; the north and south sides have pointed-arched entrances in buttressed and gabled porches, and 2-light, pointed-arched windows with geometrical tracery to either side. At the south-east corner, the single-storey crematorium with octagonal chimney, all detailed in flint and sandstone. The crematorium was the first in Sussex. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3285205616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482036
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].