This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1381723



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Oct-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482086

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3103NE MARINE PARADE 577-1/47/447 (North side) 27/10/89 Nos.70, 71 AND 72 and attached piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: MARINE PARADE No.70 part of The Lanes Hotel)


Terraced houses. Early C19 date; No.70 remodelled in 1880 by Robert W Edis, the builder was Messrs. George Lynn and Sons, of Marlborough Street, Brighton; and Nos 71 and 72 remodelled in a similar style c1885. Knapped flint with red-brick dressings, third floor and attic gables hung with fishscale tiles on the main elevation, and the reverse pattern on the return. Roof of plain tile. Stacks of brick. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and dormers over basement. 6-window range across the 3 units; return has scattered fenestration. The front wall of Nos 71 and 72 are not parallel with the pavement, but angle southwards from that of No.70 which is set well back. A notice in "The Building News" (5 March, 1880, page 276 and illustration on page 291) describes the style as "that of the 16th and 17th century" of an old Sussex type; Queen Anne Revival style. The elevation of each unit is dominated by a full-height canted bay topped by a gable. The gable to No.70 is the largest of the 3. Many windows of original design survive, most with small-pane upper sashes and plate glass to the lower sashes; basement windows segmental brick-arched with rusticated stone inner surrounds; some camber-arched windows on the second floor, otherwise windows have flat brick arches. Windows of various sizes, their outer jambs of moulded brick. The ground floor in red brick; the first floor the same brick mixed in with some regularly coursed flints; the second floor has more flint still, while the third is completely hung with fishscale tiles. The dormers stand on the line of the party walls between Nos 70-71, and 71-72; their windows are flat-arched, the gables are tile-hung. Originally there was a continuous first-floor verandah across the 3 units; where it survives it has turned and bobbin wood balusters, wood stanchions, and a tile-covered roof. In the C20 a 3-storey metal porch which reuses some of the original bobbin balusters replaced the porch of No.71; the verandah returns for a short distance on No.70. Each unit has a separate, flat-arched entry, reached by stairs and a terrace spanning the area; the latter are much altered. The arrangement of features on the return facade is even more informal than that on the main elevation, with the same variety of window types and sizes. Here evenly coursed, knapped flint predominates, with the red brick restricted to window dressings, 4 pilaster strips and as many as 8 horizontal bands; in places the horizontal bands are moulded and form sill bands. The most prominent features on the return are located near the corner: a 2-storey, gabled stair tower with a brick plaque on the ground floor and larger rectangular field on the first; the latter, which is very weathered, is of rubbed brick and depicts a field of flowers, with a blank area in the centre for a lamp standard, now gone; the gable and roof are tile-hung. To the left of the stair tower is segmental-arched entry with side- and overlights filled with coloured glass in lead lights; original door; the entry is set under a porch made of wood bobbin balusters and chamfered wood posts which support a gable roof with overhanging eaves and barge boards; the roof is tile-hung and has a turned-wood finial above at its ridge. To the left of the entry, on the second and third floors, is a canted bay with tripartite windows; this feature is not to be found in Edis' 1880 perspective, and may have been added when Nos 71 and 72 were altered. Likewise, the full-height gabled bay at the rear of the return is different from that one sketched by Edis in 1880: in the lower 2 storeys the extant bay is canted, while in third and 4th floors it is rectangular, oversailing the lower section on wooden brackets; in the original drawing this range is only 3 storeys high with an oversailing top storey only. In the roof, in line with the entry porch, is a gabled, tile-hung dormer. Stack to outer wall of return, near the corner, is decorated brick, as are the other stacks at the party and back walls. The designs of Nos 71 and 72 reproduce many of the features just described; they have suffered alterations in the C20 and are included for their group value. INTERIORS: the plan of ground and first floors of No.70 was, according to the "Building News", "based upon the lines determined by the walls of the old house". No.70 retains much of its original leaded and coloured glass, wall panelling, and decorative plaster work; of special note is a balustrade of metal and wood. No.71's entrance foyer has coloured glass in leaded lights and a ceiling of decorative plaster work. The front room of No.72 has original wood wall panelling with a fire surround of blue glazed terracotta tiles and a ceiling of decorative plaster work. A grey plaque next to entry of No.72 reads: "Ivor Novello, Composer, Actor, Author, Born 15 January 1893 -- Died 6 March 1951, was inspired to write from these premises". Railings to area.

Listing NGR: TQ3196703808

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder News' in March 5, (1880), 276, 291

National Grid Reference: TQ 31967 03808


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 11:05:42.

End of official listing