CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382227
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Oct-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STRATFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:25:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STRATFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wootton Wawen
National Grid Reference:
SP 15310 63276

Details

WOOTTON WAWEN

SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD 1457-1/5/141 (North side (off)) 05/04/67 Church of St Peter (Formerly Listed as: WOOTTEN WAWEN CHURCH LANE, Wootten Wawen Church of St Peter)

GV I

Church. 1035-40 for Wagen, of which the lower tower and parts of the lower nave north and west walls remain; with enlargements late C11/early C12 to nave and chancel of which parts of the walls remain; C13 south aisle and south doorway; C14 Lady Chapel and chancel north windows; late C15 clerestory, upper stage of tower, north doorway and east window; early C16 north porch; early C17 enlargement of chancel and chancel roof; south aisle windows inserted c1635 though of C16 date; C18 south porch; with restorations of 1880-81 by GG Scott Jr and further C20 restorations. MATERIALS: lias stone with plain-tile roofs. STYLE: Saxon, Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular. PLAN: 3-bay nave with 4-bay south aisle and 4-bay clerestory, and north and south porches; 3-stage crossing tower to north-east of nave; 2-bay chancel, and south Lady Chapel and vestry. EXTERIOR: buttresses: massive buttress with off-sets to west end; buttresses to south aisle; 3 buttresses with off-sets and angle buttresses to Lady Chapel; to tower, north side are 2 short buttresses; to chancel, north side are 2 large buttresses with off-sets; chancel, east end has angle buttresses and further short buttress below window. Nave: south aisle, porch to second bay, opening has chamfered frieze surmounted by bressumer beam and king post gable end, within are seats, then south doorway has 4-centred arch with 4 chamfers and hoodmould with remains of open dogtooth moulding and double plank doors. South aisle: first bay is blank; 2 4-light, straight-headed windows with cusped lancets and stylized foliage between, with chamfered mullions and surrounds, continuous hollow-moulded hoodmould. Further 2-cusped-light lancet window with Y-tracery in pointed, double-chamfered surround to west end of aisle. Battlements have finials with pinnacles rising from pilaster strips with grotesque bosses. North aisle: some herringbone masonry; porch to first bay has buttresses, the upper part a pegged oak timber gable with chamfered obtuse-arched opening; within the north doorway is a 4-centred arch with 2 orders of roll-moulding between cavetto-moulding; nail-studded plank door with wrought-iron ring handle with trefoil-patterned escutcheon. Small, round-arched lancet window with quoined jambs and imposts. 4-light pointed window with renewed intersecting tracery in chamfered surround with ovolo-moulded mullions, quoins and hoodmould. Continuous chamfered band with gargoyles. Clerestory, north and south sides alike: 4 3-light Perpendicular windows in 4-centred arches, with double-chamfered, hollow-moulded surrounds with hollow-chamfered mullions, hoodmoulds have grotesque finials and stops, between are pilasters with grotesque beasts, surmounted by pinnacles with finials; battlements. West end: central entrance, now blocked, with quoined surround and massive lintel. 5-light Perpendicular window in 2-centred arch, with chamfered surround, sill and hoodmould with worn face stops. Tower: long and short quoins, north side has round-arched opening, now blocked and with semi-circular window to head; second stage has slit, band, then pairs of 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows with central headstop; band, battlements with pinnacles with finials. Lady chapel: 2 3-light windows with reticulated tracery to head, the easternmost blocked to inside by monument, to east end a window of 5 stepped ogee-headed lights with Curvilinear tracery to head. Chancel: north side has 2 3-light windows with reticulated tracery to head with chamfered mullions and surround and hoodmould with face stops. East window of 7 lights with Perpendicular tracery to head in double-chamfered surround with an outer order of foliage, hoodmould with foliate decoration and chamfered sill; band, low parapet. INTERIOR: nave: has 3-bay, double-chamfered, pointed 4-centred arched arcade, the central arch is taller and wider on octagonal responds with hollow-moulded capitals, the outer responds are half-columnar with roll-moulded capitals and water-holding bases, continuous hoodmould has face-stop to centre. Scratch dial to westernmost window of south aisle. To north wall an outline of round-arched north doorway; deep splayed jambs to slit window. To west wall a blocked doorway with quoins, between 2 fluted columns on plinths with continuous frieze and dentil cornice across wall. Large busts reputedly of King Edward III and Queen Philippa to west window as hoodmould stops, window has stained glass of 1905. To clerestory a continuous hollow-moulded band with grotesques and hoodmoulds. To east end of nave are 2 parclose screens mid C15, one across tower opening has ogee-headed arch, otherwise once enclosing side chapels, now with choir stalls and organ console. Perpendicular oak pulpit with leaf-traceried panels. C18 balustrade. Octagonal C14 font with 8 protruding hooded stone heads on the underside. Tower: small northern blocked round-headed porticus arch; another similar arch to south now with glass doors; a narrow, high eastern archway; and a western higher, wider arch, all round-headed and with jambs of long- and short-megalithic through stones, arches rest on crude square capitals. To first stage a blocked rectangular opening. Lady Chapel: 4-centred, double-chamfered arch between south aisle and chapel on half-columnar responds; to north wall of Chapel a similar arch over the Norman tower arch. C14 rib-vaulted piscina in ornate surround, unfinished. Floor of Elizabethan brick; C17 3-bay king-post roof. Between Lady Chapel and chancel a double-chamfered arcade with half-columnar responds and octagonal centre pillar. Chancel: altar rails have pierced splat balusters; stained glass to east window is C14 and C17. Arch of a sedilia; small wooden doors conceal carved C15 hagioscope. C16 pews with carved bench ends with stunted poppy heads and coarse tracery, restored C19. Roof: easternmost crossbeam inscribed `CS 1635', though roof restored in 1949. MONUMENTS: in chancel are 2 tomb chests, one with recumbent alabaster effigy to John Harewell (d.1428); the other with quatrefoil decoration, also to John Harewell (d.1505), has dark marble top with brasses of John and wife Anna, 10 children shown below. In Lady Chapel is C17 Renaissance-style canopied altar tomb in painted marble erected 1626 with Ionic columns to each side and recumbent effigy of Francis Smith (d.1605), Lord of the Manor of Wootton, and Agnes (d.1562) his wife. Monument, a free-standing urn on pedestal to Robert Knight (d.1744). Wall monument to William Somerville of Edstone (d.1676) and his daughters Catherina (d.1736) and Margaretta (d.1739), erected 1765. Architectural type wall monument to Henry Knight (d.1762), Henrietta Knight (d.1763) and Henrietta St. John, Lady Luxemborough (d.1756). Gothic-Revival wall monument to John Phillips of Edstone (d.1836) signed John Ternmouth, Pimlico. All the listed items in the Churchyard form a good group with the church. (Trickett WH: St Peter's Church, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire: Visitors' Guide; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 480-2).





Listing NGR: SP1531263278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482593
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 480-482
Trickett, W H , St Peter's Church, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire: Visitors' Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/07312/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr William S. Thorne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].