CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST INCLUDING WALL TO GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382379
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST INCLUDING WALL TO GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST INCLUDING WALL TO GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382379.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:12:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST INCLUDING WALL TO GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Henley-in-Arden
National Grid Reference:
SP 15112 66015

Details

HENLEY-IN-ARDEN

SP1566 HIGH STREET 652-1/10/106 (East side) 05/04/67 Church of St John the Baptist including wall to Guildhall

GV I

Church. c1450 with slightly later north aisle and earlier west tower; restored 1856 and 1900. MATERIALS: coursed dressed lias and coursed lias rubble with ashlar dressings; old tile roof. PLAN: single-vessel chancel and 4-bay nave; west tower and north aisle. EXTERIOR: coped gables with crosses. Chancel has 5-light east window with renewed Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould with head stops; diagonal buttresses. Small C19 gabled vestry to north has tile roof and 2-light straight-headed window. North aisle has flying buttress to west end, cornice, parapet and coped gable; 3-light windows with no hoods, that to east with renewed tracery. Nave south elevation has deep plinth, off-set buttresses and diagonal buttresses, and plain cornice; 3-light windows with renewed tracery and foliated hood stops. West end has shallow-gabled porch with plinth, panelled diagonal buttresses and cornice with crenellated parapet; entrance has continuous mouldings and depressed arch (other entrances similar) and hood with beast stops, crockets and finials, C20 paired battened doors; inner entrance has king and queen headstops, crockets and paired 9-fielded-panel doors; south side of porch has cusped panelling flanking 2-light straight-headed window. Renewed 4-light west window has hood with woman and green man stops, crockets and fleuron. 3-stage west tower has plinth and diagonal buttresses ending in bases to removed pinnacles; 2-light west window. Triple-chamfered cusped light to south and west, with continuous hoodmould; third stage has similar straight-headed lights; top stage has 2-light transomed bell-openings, the lower lights with stone infill, upper ones louvred; south side has stair lights and lozenge-face clock; top cornice and C19 or C20 crenellated parapet. INTERIOR: nave and chancel has roof with arch-braced cambered tie beams on angel corbels, queen struts to arch-braced cambered collars, wind braces and coupled and ashlared common rafters; north arcade has wide shallow 4-centred arches on tall octagonal piers, east respond and west corbel in form of winged beast (cf Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon); chancel north door. South and east windows have head stops with large and elaborate headgear. Aisle has stop-chamfered members to roof; east window over entrance; 2 north windows with stops similar to arcade corbel, and north door set inside-out; double-chamfered tower arch with C19 screen. FITTINGS: C20 panelling to sanctuary, simple stalls and timber rail; early C16 pulpit with renewed stone base, panels with blind tracery over linen-fold with renewed brattished cornice; plain octagonal font with shallow C17 or C18 bowl; mostly C19 fittings. MONUMENTS: marble wall tablet to Simon Kempson, d.1719, and Margaret, d.1699; panel with apron, side pilasters ending in scrolls and crest with armorial bearing. 2 early C18 floor slabs, one to Robert Clayton with armorial bearing. Brass First World War memorial lists causes of death. STAINED GLASS: 1879 east window; 1865 aisle east window with figure of Hope set in grisaille; 1882 west window with pictorial Nativity; south windows of c1856 with decorative roundels set in grisaille. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall connecting north-west angle of tower with the Guildhall (qv) has 4-centred entrance with plank door. HISTORY: believed to have Hanoverian Royal Arms to tower. The church built as a chapel of ease to the parish church at Wooton Wawen, and was first mentioned in 1367; the north aisle was used by the Guild of the Holy Trinity, St John the Evangelist and St John the Baptist, first mentioned in 1408. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 309-10; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 112; Victoria County History: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 210-11).







Listing NGR: SP1511366017

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482763
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 309-310
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 210-211
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guides' in Warwickshire, (1979), 112
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/104743
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19287

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12864/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].