Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382445.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:14:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 11348 70513



SP1170 THE GREEN 652-1/9/151 (East side) 05/04/67 Church of St Mary Magdalene


Church. Built 1330-40 with later additions and alterations including rebuilding of spire in 1720. Alterations of c1790, mainly revised in 1880, with north arcade and north aisle windows mainly of 1880. Alterations of c1993 converted vestry and westernmost bay of south aisle to church rooms. MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with plain-tile roofs. PLAN: 2-stage west tower with broach spire, 5-bay nave with aisles, south porch, and 3-bay chancel. EXTERIOR: entrance to timbered south porch in second bay has double plank doors in 4-centred arch. Buttresses with off-sets between bays. 4 3-light windows, with reticulated tracery, similar window to east end of south aisle, 2-light window to west end of nave, many mullions renewed. Renewed C19 windows to north aisle have plain arched lights, to east end of north aisle a similar 5-light window. All windows in chamfered surrounds. North porch to first bay has triple-chamfered arch, and a plank door in double-chamfered, pointed 4-centred arch. Tower: diagonal buttresses with off-sets. Slit windows to first stage. String course. Second stage has 2-light belfry windows with cusped tracery in triple-chamfered surrounds. Chancel: buttresses with off-sets between bays. South side has priest's entrance: plank door in pointed chamfered surround. South side has one 2-light and two 3-light windows, the 3-light windows with reticulated tracery. North side has two 2-light and one 3-light window; 5-light east window, all with reticulated tracery. East end has buttresses surmounted by finials with pinnacles. INTERIOR: arcade has 4-column-clusters with double-chamfered, pointed 4-centred arches and continuous roll-moulded hood; at the west end are remains of the original west respond with 4 shafts and 4 set-back diagonals. Tower arch of c1300 type: small, triple-chamfered, pointed 4-centred arch. Tall chancel arch on single order of chamfered responds. Chancel has piscina with Decorated surround, remains of sedilia. 2 Perpendicular corbels for images to left and right of east window. Medieval tiles to chancel. C18 font with large baluster. MONUMENTS: large standing Baroque monument with obelisk and 2 putti, to Thomas Archer d.1685, his mother Anna d.1685, and wife Elizabeth d.1703, possibly by Thomas Archer (his son). Neo-Classical wall monument to Andrew, Lord Archer, Baron of Umberslade, d.1778, signed 'J. HICKEY sculpt. Lond. ' All the listed items in the Churchyard form a group. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 430-1).

Listing NGR: SP1134870511


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 430-431


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13224/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].