CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382665
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, LOWER QUINTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382665.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, LOWER QUINTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Quinton
National Grid Reference:
SP 18351 47029

Details

QUINTON

SP1847 LOWER QUINTON 1912-1/14/155 Church of St Swithin 05/04/67

GV I

Church. C12 arcades; C13 chancel; early C14 chancel arch and tower with C15 top stage and spire, C15 nave clerestory; C19 north porch. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble and ashlar; tile chancel roof and lead aisle roofs. Coped stone gables. PLAN: 2-bay chancel, nave with lean-to aisles, west tower, and gabled south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel has plain plinth and coursed rubble walls with ashlar quoins and tile roof; 5-light C19 east window with Decorated tracery; north side has 2-light C15 straight-headed traceried window with labelmould with head stops and 2 splayed lancets; south side has C15 window as above to left of blocked single-chamfered pointed priest's doorway, and window of 2 single-chamfered pointed lights and a further reticulated window to right. Nave east end has gable cross and 2 small lights over chancel; much-restored ashlar clerestory has cornice and coped parapet, four 2-light straight-headed windows to south and 5 to north. North aisle has offset diagonal buttresses, cornice and coped parapet; porch with entrance of 2 orders and lateral buttresses, side lights and tile roof; 3 windows of 2 lights with Decorated tracery and hoods; 3-light windows with reticulated tracery to west and east, the latter with blind central panel. South aisle similar but with no cornice or parapet; blocked entrance with continuous moulding and buttress to left; 2 traceried lights to east. 3-stage west tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and 2 string courses; top cornice and crenellated parapet with continuous roll moulding and pinnacles; tall 2-light bell openings with Y-tracery and stone louvres; to north a small window to 2nd stage with inserted clock face, small window to south; spire has 4 pinnacles to base and ribs, relief band over 2-light lucarnes and weathercock. INTERIOR: chancel has C19 collar and scissor-braced roof; wide splays to lancets and cusped rere-arch to south window; piscina with simple head; moulded chancel arch dies into walls. Nave has 2-bay Norman south arcade with stepped arches on round pier with round base and responds, hoods with heads over arches; later elliptical arch to west; 4-bay late C12 north arcade has stepped arches on round piers with square bases, responds with attached shafts and scalloped capitals; roof has arch braces on corbels and double-chamfered principals; tower arch has rich continuous mouldings, 2 former roof lines above. North aisle has roof with cambered tie beams and richly moulded purlin; piscina with trefoil head and scalloped bowl. South aisle has cusped ogee-arched sedilia and 2-light traceried double piscina. FITTINGS: nave has painted Royal arms, 1804-37; 1925 pulpit with moulded bands and pierced motifs. North aisle has round font with scalloped moulding; some pews to west have moulded muntins and top rails, used as model for C19 or C20 pews in rest of church; C20 parclose screens forming chapel at east end, altar rail incorporating C15 panel with blind tracery; painted Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandment boards, 1826. South aisle has organ to west end and painted 1860s charity boards. MONUMENTS: Sir William Clopton, d.early C15, plain chest tomb in south arcade has top slab with moulded edge and effigy of knight; Joan Clopton, d.1430, chest tomb in south aisle has panelled sides and marble top with inset brass figure, canopy, inscription and shields; Thomas and Ann Lingen, d.1735 and 1737, tablet with armorial bearing and flanking Ionic pilasters, apron, and crest with urn and cherubs; C18 and C19 wall and floor slabs to chancel. Wall painting: chancel arch has arms of Elizabeth I over partly visible Doom; south aisle has worn text in cartouche. STAINED GLASS: 2 windows to north aisle have C14 fragments; 1870 glass to east window; several windows with armorial bearings, 1922-1930, by Webb, to aisles; north aisle east window incorporating C15 figure. A well preserved church containing many features, monuments and fittings of interest. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 378).





Listing NGR: SP1835047029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483049
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 378

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12949/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].