CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382704
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BILLESLEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382704.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:35:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BILLESLEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Billesley
National Grid Reference:
SP 14762 56816

Details

BILLESLEY

SP15NW Church of All Saints 1931-1/1/9 05/04/67

GV I

Church, now redundant. C12 origin, rebuilt in 1692; C18 alterations. Coursed blue lias rubble with ashlar dressings; steeply pitched old tile roof. STYLE: Classical. PLAN: 2-bay nave with east apse, west porch and south transept, originally private pew. EXTERIOR: apse has plain plaster cornice; round-headed window has moulded sill, imposts and key block to architrave and leaded glazing. Nave has quoins, moulded cornice and coped west gable; north side has 2 round-headed windows as apse flanking blocked medieval pointed entrance; south side has windows flanking gabled transept with urns to kneeler and finial incorporating stack above keyed oculus, blocked entrance to west return has rusticated surround. West end has gabled porch with quoins, urn finial and small ball finial to left kneeler; entrance has thin projecting jambs and segmental pointed arch, wooden gate and inner wooden benches and entrance with flat arch over panelled door; window interrupted by porch has eared architrave, frieze and cornice, wooden spandrels forming round head, enriched round panel above; louvred bell turret has cornice and original ogival lead cupola and weathervane. INTERIOR: some re-used C12 masonry including some herringbone work; ceiled roof and moulded elliptical arch to apse, which has vault; similar round arch to transept, which has angle bolection-moulded fireplace. FITTINGS: stalls to north side and priest's desk and pews to south, probably C18, have similar balusters to fronts; box pews to west end and C17 west gallery with fielded panelling and benches, winding stair with stick balusters. Simple octagonal font, probably C17 with C19 recutting, with flared base. CARVING: transept has ex-situ carved stones: tympanum, Herefordshire school c1140, man attacked by snake and dragon and aided by dove; stone with carving to 3 sides, Anglo-Saxon tree motif and tile pattern, probably Harrowing of Hell c1150. A good example of a C17 church serving the small community round Billesley Manor, the village having been deserted by the C15. Vested in the Redundant Churches Fund. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 93; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 61).



Listing NGR: SP1476156819

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483089
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 93
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 61

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12384/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].