THE BISHOP'S CHAPEL AND THE BISHOP'S PALACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382874
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
THE BISHOP'S CHAPEL AND THE BISHOP'S PALACE, BISHOP'S PALACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:53:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BISHOP'S CHAPEL AND THE BISHOP'S PALACE, BISHOP'S PALACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55208 45734

Details

WELLS

ST5445 BISHOP'S PALACE 662-1/7/5 The Bishop's Chapel, The Bishop's 12/11/53 Palace (Formerly Listed as: BISHOP'S PALACE The Bishop's Palace (including...Chapel...))

GV I

Private chapel in Bishop's Palace. 1275-92 built for Bishop Burnell. Local stone rubble roughly coursed, Doulting stone dressings, shallow pitched roof behind parapet. EXTERIOR: single storey, 3 bays, set at right angles to, and on the south west corner of, the Bishop's Palace (qv). Plinth, offsets under main windows, parapet string and crenellated parapet, corner turrets, those on north side square, but the south-west corner octagonal on plan. Wide west elevation has semicircular arched doorway with trefoil inner arch, with Purbeck stone colonettes over a pair of C19 plank doors with decorative iron straps. Above is a segmental pointed-arched window with arched label and 5 cusped lights, in the gable a sexfoil vent. Stair light in corner turrets, arched doorway in south-west corner. Arched openings in parapet. East elevation has a large pointed segmental-headed window with six lights in groups of 3 with interlaced tracery, and a central octofoil, all under a moulded drip with stops. Each side has 3 windows with geometric Decorated tracery. INTERIOR: a single undivided space with lierne vault, having naturalistic foliage to bosses, on triple shafts to C19 carved corbel heads, and with paired shafts to window reveals. Stone floor. The rere-arch to the W door is cusped. Reredos in 5 bays with blank 2-light openings with quatrefoils, below the main sill. Sedilia and piscina, restored by Buckler, 1834, with Purbeck shafts and cusped arches. Windows with mainly C19 grisaille, but some medieval glass fragments to tracery lights. Fittings are C20: the W returns to the stalls have a coved cresting carried on slender paired colonnettes. This chapel is an important element in the development of the Decorated Style in the late C13. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 314; Colchester LS: Wells Cathedral: A History: Shepton Mallet: 1982-: 227-244; Bony J: The English Decorated Style: London: 1979-: PASSIM).





Listing NGR: ST5520745735

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483260
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bony, J, The English Decorated Style, (1979)
Colchester, LS , Wells Cathedral: A History, (1982), 227-244
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 314

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16712/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].