BISHOP BURNELL'S GREAT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382875
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
BISHOP BURNELL'S GREAT HALL, BISHOP'S PALACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOP BURNELL'S GREAT HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:54:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP BURNELL'S GREAT HALL, BISHOP'S PALACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55174 45693, ST 55207 45709

Details

WELLS

ST5445 BISHOP'S PALACE 662-1/7/6 Bishop Burnell's Great Hall 12/11/53 (Formerly Listed as: BISHOP'S PALACE (including... ruins of Great Hall...))

GV I

Ruins of former mediaeval bishop's hall house. c1280, part demolished c1830. Local rubble with Doulting stone dressings, no roof. Remains of large 5-bay aisled hall, approx 35m long and 18m wide internally, with screens passage and N porch; solar and undercroft to right (W). What now remains is the N wall, W wall, remnants of the arcade column bases, and a detached turret to the SE corner of the E wall. The N wall has 4 lofty 2-light geometrical Decorated windows, with sexfoil head over cusped lights, and cusped transom; to the right the inner doorway to the former N porch, and at either end are remains of octagonal stair turrets. At the W end, with 2 octagonal turrets, later single-storey C19 service buildings have been added, with a narrow central courtyard; there was already some low-level extension here in 1730 and before. On the S side is a length of low wall extending towards the E, including a pointed doorway with mouldings. Originally this was a most impressive large hall residence. It is believed to have been built after the commencement of the Chapel (qv), and appears in Buck's view of 1730 apparently still complete, with a deep 2-storey N porch, 3 of the windows (that to the E seems blocked by a solid wall), and 4 roof gables or dormers; the S and E walls were finally demolished in the early C19 by Bishop Law "... to make a more picturesque ruin...", and, in Pevsner's words, with the remainder of the Palace complex, "...is the product of the gentle romanticism of the C18 and early C19." (Colchester LS: Wells Cathedral: A History: Shepton Mallet: 1982-: 232; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 315).





Listing NGR: ST5516845702

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483261
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colchester, LS , Wells Cathedral: A History, (1982), 232
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 315

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16712/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].