This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1383006



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/143 (North side) 12/11/53 No.3 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))


Also known as: No.5A CATHEDRAL GREEN. House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified C19 and C20. Rendered with false ashlar joints scribed on, and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof with coped gable to left, continuation to right behind parapet, brick chimney stack. PLAN: main range with single large room to front, entrance and through passage to right, straight staircase inserted in C19; long wing to right, overlooking small internal courtyard, and return range across rear facing Cathedral Green, but partly concealed by No.12 Sadler St (qv). EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting shop front of mid C20, with panelled ashlar stall risers, simple hardwood windows with toplights, single central glazed door in recess, continuous fascia, with return on west side, with small top moulding and lead flat roof, on right in second recess a 6-panel door set in semicircular arch with decorative cast-iron fanlight, with architrave round. Upper floors have wide shallow angled bay window to full height of parapet, with exposed sash boxes to careful replacement windows, of 8+16+8 panes to first floor and 4+8+4 panes to second floor; cornice mouldings over each window. On left, traces of a corner buttress, and below the parapet traces of the original medieval string course, masked by rendering. Lead rainwater stackheads and downpipes to each side. Small brick stack to left gable. The rear has a gable in rubble to a high-pitched roof with double Roman tiles, partly concealed by the adjacent property. This has a wide paired early C18 12-pane sash set in a moulded stone surround with drip-course, but less deep than the later insertion, below this a plain door. INTERIOR: the ground floor features are all concealed by C20 fittings and finishes. The staircase is enclosed by part-glazed C20 screens to the first floor, which has one large room with a 2-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, and, to the right, 2 small openings with chamfered surrounds and 4-centred heads, leading to the narrow wing, which has, in the courtyard wall, a 2-light casement with stone mullion and deep splays. On the party wall at plate height is a large section of beam with chamfers and stops on 3 moulded wood brackets. The upper floor and roof not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).

Listing NGR: ST5499245781

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

National Grid Reference: ST 54994 45779


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 01:54:01.

End of official listing