5, MARKET PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383008
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
5, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383008.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:38:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
5, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 54999 45783

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/145 (North side) 12/11/53 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

House with shop, now offices. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified C19. Rendered and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, and brick chimney stack. PLAN: property extends back to become No.5, Cathedral Green at the N end. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting shop front of late C19 style, having painted panelled ashlar stall riser, 12-large-pane display window flanked by slim fluted pilasters, under slim fascia with shop blind, 6-panel door to left with plain rectangular fanlight, all under a felted flat roof. Upper floors have a wide shallow-angled bay window to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows with exposed boxes of 8+16+8 panes to first floor and 9+15+9 panes to second floor, cornice mouldings over each window. Traces of the original medieval string course under the rendering at second floor level. Behind parapet a small flat-roofed dormer and a second, slightly higher, to the right, with a louvred window; small stack to the right, on raised coped verge. The N elevation, to Cathedral Green, is in rubble, with double Roman tile steep pitched roof, set with coped gable to the Green. 3 storeys and attic; a small square light in the gable above a large 4-pane sash, but with evidence for a former wide casement. At first floor are two 4-pane sash to concrete lintels, and at ground floor a 4-panel door under plain transom-light and in a Tuscan pilaster surround, and a 2-light casement. The right eaves has a brick stack on a coped gablet. INTERIOR: ground floor has C20 partitions, but 4 bays of ceiling with moulded beams survive. Stone newel staircase to first floor, with 2-bay ceilings with moulded beams to front, and C19 fireplace. Second floor has suspended ceiling below the mediaeval roof structure, doors of late C18, and a large 18-pane sash with thick glazing bars to the stairwell. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned group. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).









Listing NGR: ST5499745785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483426
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16372/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].