CONSERVATIVE CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383013
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 11, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383013.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:36:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 11, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55011 45798

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/150 (North side) 13/09/72 No.11 Conservative Club (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

Includes: No.4 CATHEDRAL GREEN. House with shop, now club. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19 and early C20. Rendered with false ashlar lining, and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, with coped gable to west and continuation to east, brick chimney stack. PLAN: the property continues through as No.4 Cathedral Green at its N end; the original front range, with through passage to the right, has a single large room on each of the upper floors, then the early stair, and a link by a passageway to the later rear wing. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor extended in early C20 work using rusticated ashlar, with plinth, pilasters and cornice below lead flat roof, single window in plain opening with curved top corners having 3-pane toplight, to right a 2-panel door under rectangular fanlight. Upper floors have a wide canted bay window to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows in architraves with 18+30+18 panes to first floor and 12+20+12 panes to second floor, with dentilled cornices over both windows and then panels of diagonal boarding, the whole surmounted by a flagpole, To left is a buttress with 2 offsets, the top damaged, and adjacent is a lead rainwater stackhead and downpipe, traces of cornice string behind rendering. Behind parapet a small flat-roofed dormer on the right side. The rear range, to Cathedral Green, is rendered and with slate roof; remodelled mid C20, in 2 storeys, with 12-pane sashes above a large 16-pane and a good 6-panel door with margin-pane transom-light. INTERIOR: the ground floor has been substantially modified, with a C20 staircase to the first floor, where the principal room has a 2-compartment ceiling with beams, moulded in the front half only. In the rear wall is a stone corbel, and there is a C17 6-panel door and 3-light casement with ovolo-mould mullions and transom, the original ferramenta, but later leading. The upper stair is a wood spiral with turned newel, and the upper level is entered through a chamfered stone 4-centred arch. The E wall is in heavy timber-framing, and the 2-bay roof has the original roof structure with 2 ranges of broad chamfered wind-bracing. There is a small stone fireplace with 4-centred arch and ovolo plus cavetto moulding. HISTORICAL NOTE: a photograph of 1910 in the building shows that the main canted bays at that time had no glazing bars. At that time this was the Constitutional Club. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5500945802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483431
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16372/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].