21, MARKET PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383021
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
21, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383021.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:39:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
21, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55041 45807

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/159 (North side) 12/11/53 No.21 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE Nos.3-25)

GV II*

House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework, colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor has very fine mid C19 projecting shop front (shared with No.23 (qv)), probably C19 of which the stallrisers have ornamental cast-iron vents, ornamented panelled pilasters with console brackets on left, 2-light display window with ornamental column mullions and rounded top corners, glazed doorway to right in angled recess, under semicircular ornamentally glazed fanlight, with large C19 lantern over, shallow fascia with shopblind. Upper floors have a wide shallow canted bay window to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows of 24+36+24 panes to first floor and 16+24+16 panes to second floor. Medieval string course broken by bay. Small flat roofed dormer behind parapet, flagmast behind parapet to left. Stack to right, on raised coped verge. Rear elevation has one small pointed-arched window, and two ovolo-mould stone mullioned windows, one to ground floor being a 6-light, the other a 3-light to first floor, also the former offset for a chimney breast, now capped. INTERIOR: ground floor has 6-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, an C18 part dado rail, and other C18 features, some possibly imported. In the E part wall an elliptical arched recess. C20 stair to both floors; first floor has front room with 2-compartment ceiling with moulded beams. Second floor has a timber and plaster partition to the W party wall. Medieval roof in 2 bays, with arch-braced collar trusses, but the collar removed from centre truss, and later tie set lower, chamfered windbraces, and 2 purlins. In the rear wall a single-light C17 ovolo-mould casement with 3 vertical stanchions, and a connecting door to No.23 (qv). The front part of the shop said to have vaulted cellar. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).



Listing NGR: ST5504145807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483439
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16372/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].