POLYDOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383163
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Statutory Address:
POLYDOR HOUSE, 3, THE LIBERTY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383163.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:56:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
POLYDOR HOUSE, 3, THE LIBERTY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55019 46045

Details

WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/299 (North side) 12/11/53 No.3 Polydor House

GV II*

Large detached house, formerly known as The Organist's House. C15 fragments, with C16, C17, C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Random rubble with Doulting stone dressings, partly rendered and colourwashed, Welsh slate gabled roofs, most gables coped, ashlar chimney stacks. PLAN: a C15 hall house subsequently much modified, now has large staircase hall with parlour to right; to the left a 3-bay full-height C17 extension of 3 bays, and to rear of main range in parallel a wide addition of C17 or earlier. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with partial attic and cellar, 2 bays, and 2 storeys 5 bays. The first, unrendered section has a 3 light ovolo-mould timber-framed window to lower bay 1, and casement windows to lower bay 2; first floor has 12-pane and 9-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves, the attic 3-light chamfer-mullioned casement in chamfered surround without label, set in a lofty coped gable. The principal 5-bay front, rendered and colourwashed, is slightly higher, and has part-height buttresses with offsets to the right of bays 1 and 2; the remaining bays are set back slightly, lower bays 4 and 5 and the five first-floor windows are 12-pane sashes in plain openings, lower bay 1 has a 4-light chamfer mullioned and transomd window with square label, and bay 3 has a blocked 2-light mullioned window. Entrance in bay 2, with a 6-panel door in heavy beaded architrave with fine shell hood over frieze and ornamental brackets. A number of timber windows in the rear elevation, and one C16 window with hollow-chamfered mouldings and label, with traces of a trefoil-headed window with incised spandrels. INTERIOR: the main door, on early hinges, opens direct to the large entrance hall which embraces the former service rooms to the left, and has, to the right of the doorway, an open-well early C18 stair, probably from the 1719 alterations; it has quarter landings, 3 turned balusters to each tread with scrolled ends to the open string, fluted newels, and a swept handrail. The ceiling has a cable-mould cornice. In the rear wall is a lofty 2-light stone casement with transom and cusped lights, part of the earliest fabric. To the right the parlour has a 4-compartment ceiling, the beams having later added plaster mouldings. There is a 4-centred stone doorway giving to the basement. To the left the C16 extension has a spiral staircase in the NW corner. This section is reported as having an arch-braced collar roof with 3 purlins and chamfered wind-bracing, with a pair of carved corbels with angels holding shields. The rear range includes a spiral stair through full height, and a 2-light early leaded wood casement in a very thick wall. This range has a ground-floor room with C17 panelling, and a heavy cornice to a plastered ceiling with fielded panels; the fire surround has an eared architrave. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house has had a very varied history. The name derives from the C16 Humanist Dean, Polydore Vergil, but he is not known to have lived in this house. The site is first recorded as being occupied in 1317; the new occupant in 1719, Dr Hunt, was given permission to '... make such alterations in repairing the house as he might think fit...', and this date would seem appropriate to the main staircase. In 1866, the Organist's old house being ruinous, he took over No.3, and thereafter it was long known as 'Organist's House'; since 1966 it has been leased to the Cathedral School. Sketch plan and drawings in VAG report. (Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 21-27; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328; Williams Cmdr: Vernacular Architecture Group Report: 1978-).



Listing NGR: ST5501946045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483581
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bailey, S, Canonical Houses of Wells, (1982), 21-27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03230/06
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].