THE DEAN'S LODGING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383178
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Statutory Address:
THE DEAN'S LODGING, 25, THE LIBERTY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383178.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:35:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DEAN'S LODGING, 25, THE LIBERTY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55224 46042

Details

WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/313 (East side) 12/11/53 No.25 The Dean's Lodging

GV II*

Large detached house. On the site of earlier buildings, but rebuilt by Dr Edward Powell as a "new Canonical house", and completed by 1610; C18 modification and some refenestration, extensive restoration and modernisation in 1970. Local random rubble stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof with sawn stone ridge between coped gables, stone chimney stacks. PLAN: a near symmetrical single-depth plan with central full height porch, return cross-gabled wing to the right, and a second rear wing, enclosing a small courtyard; the main staircase lies to the rear of the main entrance hall. The original had an L-plan, with a hall and spiral stairway to the chamber. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays, with attic gables to end bays and projecting gabled porch. Plinth, bay 3 only has string between floors. Ground floor has ovolo-mould mullioned windows with labels, 4-light to outer bays and 3-light bays 2 and 4, first floor has 12-pane replacement sash windows with stone lintels Attic windows to bays 1, 3 and 5 are 3-light ovolo-mullioned with labels. The porch all ashlar at ground-floor level, with moulded 4-centre outer and inner arches, with circular motifs to spandrels of inner arch, C19 inner door. Relieving arches to all ground-floor openings, and to bays 1, 3 and 5 of first floor. The right return is 2-gabled, with 2, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements, as is the rear gable to this wing, with 4 levels of casements, some with ovolo and some with chamfer mullions. INTERIOR: many of the rooms are simply detailed. The ground floor has one front room fully panelled with C18 ovolo-mould fielded panels, and with a small stone 4-centred fireplace with stopped mouldings, and a large elliptical recess. Some floors are in stone or brick. At the foot of the staircase are 2 wide and flat elliptical stone arches. The open- well stair with quarter landings has a stick balustrade, and an area of C17 panelling; a second staircase, to the rear, has oak treads and a simple stick balustrade. The roofs are in heavy scantlings, with plain collars; 2 of the trusses have panel and muntin screens below the collars, possibly adapted from the earlier building on the site. A straight-headed 3-light C15 window, perhaps from the demolished Stillington Chapel, and a stone spiral staircase also remain. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 327; Town and Country Planning Working Papers: Scrase A J: Wells: A Study of Town Origins: Bristol: 1982-: 32; Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 83).



Listing NGR: ST5522446042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483596
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bailey, S, Canonical Houses of Wells, (1982), 83
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 327
Scrase, A J , 'Town and Country Planning Working Papers' in Wells: A Study of Town Origins, (1982), 32

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].