CHURCH OF ST EDITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1383306
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITH, EATON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDITH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383306.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 19:33:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITH, EATON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eaton-under-Heywood
National Grid Reference:
SO 49986 90006

Details

EATON UNDER HEYWOOD

SO49SE EATON 1312-1/6/114 Church of St Edith 12/11/54

GV I

Church. C12 nave and tower, C13 chancel with C15 alterations, restored 1868. MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof with fleur-de-lys ornamental ridge tiles and ashlar finial in shape of a cross. Pyramid tile roof to tower. PLAN: plan of integral chancel and nave with projecting south porch and south tower. Nave floor level gradually rises from west to east. EXTERIOR: chancel and nave with 3 lancets in east wall from the 1868 restoration. North wall: 3 buttresses with ashlar coping. Flat-headed window with 4-light cusped lancet tracery and pointed window with cusped intersecting tracery to left. To right are 2 round-headed lancets flanking plain arched doorway, altered to form window. South wall: centre covered by south tower; 2-light cusped window to right with truncated apex, and 2 round-headed lancets flanking segmental arched door to left. West gable-end with cinquefoil roundel over Tudor-arched window with cusped lancet tracery. 3-stage tower with battered plinth; arched doorway to south, round-headed lancet to middle stage; each face of upper stage has round-headed opening with central column supporting 2 smaller round-headed arches with string courses above and below. Crenellated parapet with a pinnacle on each merlon. South porch with stone side walls and opposing 3-light windows; truss over opening of heavy swept tie beam, principals, decorative infill, single swept purlin roof with swept windbraces. INTERIOR: unplastered walls with raised ribbon pointing. 2-bay chancel roof with low-pitched timber ceiling consisting of 3 trusses with moulded cranked tie beams; 5 moulded cranked bridging beams with 2 moulded joists per bay with carved bosses at the intersections. West chancel roof truss filled with armorial paintings. 6-bay nave roof of arch-braced collar trusses and with alternate trusses with deep swept tie beams, with the principals without tie beams terminating in restored carved figurative bosses. Trenched purlins with intermediate principal linking top and bottom purlins, moulded to the east bays and chamfered to the west bays. Pulpit with canopy and desk, dated 1670, the pulpit ledge on carved brackets. North side of chancel has tomb recess of cinquefoiled canopy with ball-flower ornament. Set in recess is C14 wooden male effigy (1.85 metres long) reputed to be the Lord of the Manor of the period. Unadorned bowl font with elaborately carved C19 wood cover on pully chains. Oval stone tablets in nave floor. Tower roof of chamfered swept tie beam with central post. Medieval 3-bay timber-framed bell-frame with mostly half-lapped diagonal braced cross frames and braced end frames; central jowled bell axle posts; lapped horizontal corner braces on upper rails.



Listing NGR: SO4997990008

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483724
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05321/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jill Ming. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].