CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383393
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383393.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:58:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Abdon
National Grid Reference:
SO 55710 87060

Details

TUGFORD

SO58NE Church of St Catherine 1312-1/12/214 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 nave, C14 chancel and C14 west tower with early C18 rebuilt upper stages. Sandstone rubble partly rendered and with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble upper stage of tower. Plain-tile roof with ashlar coped gable and gutterless rendered deep eaves soffit, tiled pyramid tower roof with weather-vane. PLAN: plan of integral chancel and nave with west tower and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel with diagonal corner buttresses and string course. Decorated 3-light pointed east window with reticulated tracery. North wall with 3 broad arched recesses, 2 with cusped decoration. South wall with single arched recess mirroring the opposing north wall recess. Decorated 2-light window with trefoil vesica to north and south walls. Single lancet on north side to right. Small blocked doorway on south with tympanum with carved low-relief semicircular cable and roll ornamentation. Nave: north wall with blocked and rendered round headed doorway, C12 round-headed lancet, with, to left, a Decorated pointed window of twin cusped lancets and trefoil over. South wall with Decorated window to right mirroring that in the north wall; 2 chamfered blocked openings, 2 Decorated broad cusped lancets flanking C13 buttress; late C12 south doorway of moulded round-headed arch, with keel and lozenge pattern outer arch-ring, deep moulded abaci, filleted shafts with capitals with undercut foliage to left and scallop with rosette to right, label stops with hoodmould missing. Covered with simple C19 tiled gabled porch. Tower: 3 stages with clasping buttresses; lancet on 3 faces of lower stages except for restored pointed west doorway; twin bell-openings with round-headed arches and keyblocks on all faces of upper stage; battlemented parapets. Upper stage of west face dated 1720. INTERIOR: single moulded tie beam visible in otherwise plastered interior. Pointed tower arch. Early C18 communion rails with turned balusters and inscription `TITUS WATUS-1716-CLARK GAVE THIS REAILE'. 2 small shiela-na-gigs each side of south door. Late C12 or C13 chalice font with 16-sided fluted panelled bowl set on a cable mould and a cylindrical stem. Gothick-style panelled front to west gallery of C18. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-).



Listing NGR: SO5571087060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483811
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1895)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13592/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Brittain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].