CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383510
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383510.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:09:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Greete
National Grid Reference:
SO 57720 70876

Details

GREETE

SO57SE Church of St James 582-1/4/103 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel, C15 and C18 alterations, restored 1856. MATERIALS: rubble stone and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, partly roughcast rendered. Banded plain and club-pattern clay tile roofs with ashlar coped gables at each end and pierced ornamental tile ridge. PLAN: chancel, nave with bellcote and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel east window of 3 restored stepped lancets under brick rebuilt gable. North wall rendered, with Early English lancet. Blocked doorway with shallow pointed arch. South wall rendered, with 3 single C13 cusped lancets with hoodmould to left window, carved head reset above central window. Nave: rendered north wall on ashlar plinth. To left is one twin oak mullion C15 window with carved cusped head within ogee pattern border, to right one Early English lancet. South wall rebuilt with restored oak window to right to match that on north wall. Much renewed C12 central south door of 3 plain orders of carving, plain tympanum and pillars and plain cushion capitals. To left is restored twin cusped lancet and single Early English lancet. West wall set on ashlar plinth capped with roll-moulded course with projecting central flat buttress with ashlar capping at upper 2 stages. Norman lancet set in buttress. Later bellcote set on gable-end: twin bell-openings with roundel over, and roof of coped ashlar with corbelled and nailhead enriched eaves. C19 gabled tiled south porch with arch-braced collar truss set on a simple traceried arcade set on high ashlar plinth. INTERIOR: chancel with 3-bay single-purlin roof with 2 king post trusses. Piscina with projecting fluted bowl and sedilia set in rere arch in south wall. C19 pointed chancel arch set on simple shaft column. Nave: restored arch-braced rafter roof with collar and ashlaring. Pulpit with C18 panelling. Memorial tablet with cornice and pyramid over with inscribed quatrefoil, to Catherine wife of John Hall d.1775. C14 font with plain octagonal bowl, base and concave pedestal, and with C17 cover.





Listing NGR: SO5772070876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483940
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16356/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].