CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383589
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383589.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:42:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitton
National Grid Reference:
SO 57587 72860

Details

WHITTON

SO57SE Church of St Mary the Virgin 582-1/4/179 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 chancel and nave, C14 tower, restored and chancel extended 1891 by Sir Aston Webb. Stone rubble and render with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof with integral roof over chancel and nave, with ashlar-coped gables, pyramid slate roof to tower. PLAN: chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with late C19 Decorated-style east window and diagonal offset buttresses. South wall with C19 window of 2 cusped lights to right, and C14 cusped lancet set in simple chamfered ogee-headed surround to left. North wall covered by gabled late C19 north vestry with east door and north windows. Nave: north wall with 2 C12 round-headed lancets, one restored, flanking blocked C14 north door of ogee-headed arch with ovolo chamfer over simple chamfered door jambs. Large buttress with offsets to right. South wall with restored C14 cusped round-headed lancet to right, and small restored Norman lancet to left, of C12 south door with plain tympanum and jambs, simple soffit chamfered abaci and dog-tooth edging. South porch with tiled gabled roof on C19 framing set on high brick plinth incorporating benches. Tower: slightly battered walls with plain parapet and low pyramid slate roof. Bold roll-moulded string course below parapet and with rainwater shutes below to north and south. Cusped lancet to upper stage to west. Flat-headed slits on 3 faces of middle stage and flat-headed window to lower stage to south. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave and integral chancel roof with 3 late C17-C18 king-post trusses with raking struts, all with chamfered soffits supporting twin trenched-purlin roof. C19 barrel roof over extended chancel. Piscina in west splay of south chancel lancet. Pointed tower arch. C14 octagonal font located in tower. Marble memorial tablet with raised border to Allan Whitefoord d.1776. Stained glass by Burne Jones and William Morris of c1893 in east window.





Listing NGR: SO5758772860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484021
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13620/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ros Sargent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].