This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1383591



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484023

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO57SE Whitton Court 582-1/4/181 12/11/54


Manor house. Mostly late C16 and early C17, with original core reputed to date from 1140, extended and restored c1862 and again 1883. Early brick with ashlar dressings on stone rubble plinth; painted timber frame with painted infill panels and stone rubble with ashlar dressings to courtyard walls. Plain-tile roofs with ashlar-coped gables. Projecting brick eaves stacks with upper diagonal and spurred shafts and caps. Original U-shaped plan of main hall to south with cross wings to east and west, now forming 4 sides around small courtyard, 2 sides of which are C19. EXTERIOR: 2-storey, attic and cellar. South front with cyma-moulded stone string courses at first and attic floors. Central large gabled front block with flanking advanced gabled bays. Central front with stone 2-mullion window with stone surround and hoodmould at attic level; 2 large stone 3-mullion and transom windows in stone surrounds flanked by smaller stone mullion windows at first floor; similar large window at ground floor flanked by smaller stone mullion windows with, to right, projecting rectangular porch with stone mullion window and studded boarded door to side with ashlar doorcase. At each end of central front block are projecting gables of cross wings each with single 2-mullion window in stone surround at attic level, 2-storey canted bay window projection with crenellated ashlar parapet over large canted stone mullion and transom window at each floor. Return walls of projecting gables have single lights at both floors, some with original leaded lights. East return side: central gable with projecting brick stack to left and projecting gabled bay to right. Central gable with 3-light mullion window to left and 2-light to right at both floors with 2-light mullioned window at attic level and to projecting gabled bay. Single-light windows to left of stack. All windows with cyma-moulded cornice over the window head. West return side: 3 projecting brick and one integral stone stack with gable to right. Gable with 3- and 4-light mullion and transom windows at both floors, one elaborated into a tall staircase window to left, 3-light mullion window at attic level. 4-window range of mullion and transom windows to left with boarded door at ground floor to left. North side: mostly restored but with ashlar segmental arched door surround with moulded chamfer and stepped hoodmould. South wing courtyard side: stone rubble wall with projecting brick stack flanked by stone 2-mullion and transom windows at first-floor level and stone mullion window with cusped ogee heads at ground floor. Pointed arched doorway to left, and to far left stone mullion windows with cusped ogee heads at first-floor level. West wing courtyard side: 4 framed-bays of decorative framing. Ground-floor close studded frame consisting of sill, studs with middle rails, and 3 mullion and transom windows in left-hand bays, posts with console brackets supporting jettied moulded bressumer; first-floor square framing with decorative raking-stud framing and 2 mullion and transom windows with moulded sills on brackets set over decorative panels. Large central mullioned dormer window at attic level with jettied bressumer to decorative dormer truss over. Other 2 courtyard walls are mid C19 brick, with opposing wall containing post with console bracket as vestige of original framed wall. INTERIOR: south wing has arched C15 stone doorway with double-ovolo-moulded arch leading to screens passage. Hall screen on one side and panelled wall opposite with very deeply-set panels with ovolo-moulded heavy ribbed surrounds, all formed from original square-framed partition walls. Hall is oak panelled with deep cornice, and ornamented with C17 paintings of vases of flowers, heraldic shields dated 1682 and a large hunting scene reputed to depict Sir Job Charlton. The hall is reputed to be a former open hall, now with C17 inserted floor with double-ovolo-moulded bridging beam and moulded edged plastered ceiling, with possible minstrels gallery over screens passage. Staircase to west of hall with toad-back moulded oak handrail and low turned balusters, 2 per open tread. `White Room' to west of hall with complete painted C17 panelling and plastered cornice, fire surround with moulded corniced mantelshelf with brackets and ovolo-moulded Tudor arched fireplace. `Brown Parlour' to east of hall with C18 oak panelling, double-ovolo bridging and cross bridging beams. Room over hall with C17 panelling and ornate plastered bridging beams and cornice. Room over brown parlour with double-ovolo-moulded bridging beams. West wing: 6-bay double trenched roof. Trusses of straight tie beam, high collar, and twin low vertical struts. Square framed cross walls at lower floors with framed former doorways adjacent to posts. Deep chamfered bridging beams with ogee stops at first floor and ogee chamfered bridging beams at ground floor. Brick south front added in 1621 for Sebastian Harvey, Lord Mayor of London. Sold to Sir John Charlton of Ludford, for his younger brother Sir Job, who is depicted on the painted hall panelling. (Country Life: 1426, 1510; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 317).

Listing NGR: SO5788373470

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 317
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 1426 1510

National Grid Reference: SO 57883 73470


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 11:26:41.

End of official listing