CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384451
Date first listed:
30-Mar-2000
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, WYMERING ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE COMMON

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384451.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 20:20:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, WYMERING ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Southwold
National Grid Reference:
TM 50569 76230

Details

SOUTHWOLD

TM5076 WYMERING ROAD 588-1/7/138 (South side) Church of the Sacred Heart and attached Presbytery

II

Roman Catholic church and presbytery attached. 1914 by Benedict & Foss for Rev H.St.Leger-Mason. Both buildings of stone; Church has machine tile roof; Presbytery has slate roof and stone stacks to left end and right of centre. CHURCH EXTERIOR: nave and sanctuary, oriented north-south, with tower over sanctuary. Square 2-stage tower with central polygonal stair turret to south face rising above parapet. Slit lights either side of turret. Two 2-light louvred belfry windows to south face, one similar window to remaining sides. Each face of otherwise plain parapet with 2 minimal recessed cusped panels. 4-light east sanctuary window. Nave with five 2-light side windows: blocked doorway to east side under depressed arch. Gable parapet to north front, with 5-light window. Windows are in the Perpendicular style. INTERIOR: austere with plastered walls. Pointed sanctuary arch with dying mouldings. Stone polygonal pulpit and square credence table against nave east wall. Depressed 4-centred doorway in west wall leading to presbytery adjoining. Altar reredos with painting of Holy Family. Panelled sanctuary ceiling. Nave roof of four king-post trusses. PRESBYTERY EXTERIOR: 2-storey nearly symmetrical front. Central timber door with cusped panelling beneath moulded 4-centred arch. 2-light cusped window to right. Statuary niche above with ogee cusped canopy and carved tracery panels. One canted 2-storey bay window right and left fitted with 2- and 3-light cross casements. Parapet continuous over canted bays. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 39).







Listing NGR: TM5056976230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484885
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, , Kindred, , Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, (1991), 39

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16655/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].