COOPS FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384464
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1983
Statutory Address:
COOPS FACTORY, DORNING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COOPS FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 21:15:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
COOPS FACTORY, DORNING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58004 05671

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE DORNING STREET 24-1/2/11 Coops Factory 11/07/83

II

Clothing factory, now warehouse. 1871, by R Todd of Southport, for Timothy Coop and James Marsden; with large additions of 1888, by Isitt and Verity, and 1892 by W Verity. Yellow and red brick on rusticated sandstone basement (roof concealed but probably asphalt). Very large rectangular block on corner site. Italianate style. EXTERIOR: 4 and 6 storeys, on a site which slopes down from right to left: the 1871 portion to the right has 4 storeys (apparently reduced from 5) and 5 bays; the 1888 portion in the centre, breaking forwards slightly and itself in 2 portions, has 6 storeys including a basement, and 5:4 bays; and the 1892 portion to the left, set back slightly, has 4 storeys including the basement, and 4 bays. The 1st build, to the right, has the windows of the 1st and 2nd floors set in a giant pilastered arcade of round-headed arches with keystones (floors above this level probably formerly similar but the topmost now missing), and the subsequent build to the left continue this treatment at the same horizontal level (2nd and 3rd floors, because of the slope), while the 1888 build in the centre repeats the same treatment at 4th and 5th floors. All parts have yellow brick pilasters and corner pilasters; the centre has bracketed cornices, and a balustraded parapet to the 4-bay portion. The basement has square-headed windows; otherwise, all the windows are segmental-headed except those in the heads of the arcades which are round-headed. Main entrance in 4-bay portion of the centre, in a large round-headed archway moulded in 3 orders, and further distinguished by a feature-balcony at 1st-floor level. Very long left return of 1892 portion, 23 bays in style matching front. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: established to employ girls redundant as a result of the Cotton Famine of the 1860s.





Listing NGR: SD5800405671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484898
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12807/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].