Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384468.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 01:55:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 57820 04545



SD50SE HARDMAN STREET, Poolstock 24-1/5/134 (South side) 11/07/83 Church of St James with St Thomas


Formerly known as: Church of St James HARDMAN STREET Poolstock. Church. 1863-6 (dated 1866 on tower). By EG Paley. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Decorated style. PLAN: nave with west tower, north and south aisles, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. EXTERIOR: the large 5-stage west tower, with angle buttresses up to the 4th stage (those at the south-west corner clasping a vice), has a segmental-pointed west doorway with moulded surround, double-doors with large ornamental strap hinges, and a hood-mould with figured stops (as have all the windows in the church); a 2-centred arched 4-light traceried west window; a crocketed niche at the 3rd stage containing the monogrammed date "1866" (2-light windows in the sides at this level); clockfaces to the 4th stage; pairs of 2-light gabled belfry windows with stone louvres; a frieze with ball-flower enrichment and a pierced parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Both the high 5-bay nave and its aisles have cavetto cornices with grotesques between bays, and embattled parapets with pierced triangular upstands between bays; the nave has a clerestory of coupled segmental-pointed 2-light windows with crocketed shafts and tracery alternately mouchette and trefoil, and large east pinnacles; the aisles are buttressed and have one 2-centred arched 3-light traceried window in each bay, except the 2nd of the south aisle which has a large gabled porch which has (inter alia) a 2-centred arched moulded doorway with semi-columns, ball-flower ornament, and a hood-mould with figured stops and crocketed finial. The lower 2-bay chancel, with diagonal buttresses, a cornice like that of the nave and a parapet of pierced trefoils, has a 2-bay transept to the 1st bay with a geometrical rose window, a 2-light window to the 2nd bay, and a very large 2-centred arched 5-light east window with wheel tracery in the head. INTERIOR: tall 5-bay arcades of slender columns alternately quatrefoil with annular caps and octagonal with carved stiff-leaf caps (all different), moulded 2-centred arches with hood-moulds which have large figured stops (all different); paired clerestory windows in reveals with free-standing shafts; carved angel corbels (all different) to arch-braced king post roof trusses which have open-work spandrels; large moulded chancel arch; richly-decorated chancel including ornate reredos, 2 tiers of niches with carved figures flanking east window (1877), side walls with carved stone panels and frescoes with painted figures on gilded ground; good stained glass in chancel and chapel by Hardman of Birmingham. HISTORY: founded by James and Nathaniel Eckersley (of Eckersleys Mills, Swan Meadow Road, (qv)).

Listing NGR: SD5782004545


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/11695/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].