FORMER MIDLAND BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384481
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1998
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
1, 3, 5 AND 5A, LIBRARY STREET
Statutory Address:
FORMER MIDLAND BANK, 1 AND 3, WALLGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384481.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 17:49:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
1, 3, 5 AND 5A, LIBRARY STREET
Statutory Address:
FORMER MIDLAND BANK, 1 AND 3, WALLGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 58244 05631

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/12/2017

SD 5805 NW, 24-1/7/27

WIGAN, LIBRARY STREET (south-west side), Nos. 1, 3, 5 AND 5A, Former Midland Bank

(Formerly Listed as: LIBRARY STREET (South West side) Nos. 1, 3, 5 AND 5A (Midland Bank, including Nos 1 and 3))

29/01/98

GV

II

Includes: Nos.1 and 3 Midland Bank WALLGATE. Showrooms and offices, now bank and shop units. 1895. By WEV Crompton of Wigan, for Timothy Coop and Company. Ground floor altered 1910 by T B Whinney of London. Red brick in Flemish bond, the ground floor rebuilt in sandstone ashlar; with pink and buff terracotta dressings, slate mansard roof with lead-clad dome. Corner site, with long frontage to Library Street and narrow facade to Wallgate linked by convex corner. Free Queen Anne style. EXTERIOR: Three storeys and attic. The 1910 facade to the ground floor, carried round both facades, has paired Tuscan semi-columns, plain frieze and prominent modillioned cornice, a corner doorway with moulded architrave including a festoon frieze and cornice, and rectangular windows in the other bays. On the upper floors the architectural centre consists of the three bays wrapping round the corner, where a drum to the corner is clasped by Dutch gables: it has brick pilasters at 1st floor with terracotta Ionic capitals, a dentilled terracotta frieze and moulded cornice carried round, banded Dutch gables, and a drum with terracotta frieze enriched with festoons, surmounted by an unusual bell-shaped dome; Venetian windows at 1st floor with terracotta colonnettes, run-out voussoirs and triple keystones, and oblong windows at 2nd floor with blocked jambs and triple keystones; and stepped triple-light windows in the gables. Side ranges similar but simpler. INTERIOR not inspected. Occupies key site at south end of triangular Market Place, forming focal point at top of Library Street and Wallgate.





Listing NGR: SD5824405631

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484915
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/10971/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].