WIGAN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384501

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Statutory Address: WIGAN HALL, NEW MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WIGAN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 15:20:56.

Location

Statutory Address: WIGAN HALL, NEW MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 57937 05918

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE NEW MARKET STREET 24-1/2/51 (North West side) 11/07/83 Wigan Hall

GV II

Rectory. 1875-6, by GE Street, for the Bridgeman family; slightly reduced. Coursed sandstone rubble at ground floor, timber-framed with brick nogging at 1st floor and plaster in gables; red tiled roofs, brick chimneys. Irregular double-pile plan with appearance of hall-and-crosswing type. Late-medieval style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, approximately 1:3:1 windows, the 1st bay presented as a gabled wing; plus a set-back gabled one-window wing to the right; with a chamfered plinth, angle-buttresses to the gable on the left, a brattished wooden cornice over the ground floor, coved jettying to the 1st floor of the left wing, and steeply-pitched roofs with over-hanging eaves and barge-boarded gable verges. The main range has at ground floor a moulded segmental-pointed arch to a recessed porch adjacent to the wing, a similar but smaller inner doorway with a board door which has elaborate strap-hinges; to the right of the entrance a buttress with a roundel above containing the Bridgeman arms; further right 3 stone cross-windows with blind trefoils in the heads; and at 1st floor small windows of 1, 1 and 2 lights, and a large transomed 10-light gabled window breaking the eaves. The left wing has a stone-arcaded window of 4 small cusped lights at ground floor, a wooden transomed 8-light window at 1st floor, and a jettied gable with herring-bone bracing. Ridge chimney in line with porch, with tall clustered polygonal shafts and cornicing. Set-back gable to right in similar style, and attached to that a 1958 range replacing the former service wing. The left return, in similar style, has (inter alia) a large bay window with segmental-headed transomed window of 8 cusped lights under a tall tiled pitched roof, and a narrow 5-sided oriel at 1st floor. Rear: long range, the left half stepped out, with mullioned and transomed windows at ground floor; the right-hand half with 3 medieval-style windows and an extruded chimney stack with tall clustered polygonal shafts; arch-braced timber-framing at 1st floor of whole range, including a gable (to the right end of the left half) with a transomed 6-light window in this and various other small windows. INTERIOR: large central reception hall with tiled floor including arms of Bridgeman family (patrons of the living).



Listing NGR: SD5793705918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484935

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing