This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

21, UPPER DICCONSON STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 21, UPPER DICCONSON STREET

List entry Number: 1384539

Location

21, UPPER DICCONSON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-May-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484974

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD5806SW UPPER DICCONSON STREET 24-1/6/90 (South East side) 05/05/95 No.21

II

End-of-terrace town house. 1877. Brown brick in English garden wall bond, with slate roof and slated canopy over ground floor. Double-depth single-fronted plan with back extension. Simple eclectic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, cellared throughout, 1:2 windows (forming half of a reflected pair). The ground floor has a round-headed doorway to the left (coupled with that of No.23) with moulded stone imposts which have sawtooth enrichment, a dentilled lintel, panelled keystone and wide door with 6 bolection-moulded panels; a canted bay window with sawtooth enrichment to the lintels, and a continuous monopitched slate canopy (carried across No.23 also). The 1st floor has a round-headed window above the doorway and a pair of segmental-headed windows to the right, all in raised brick surrounds with moulded imposts and panelled keystones, and linked by a sillband (also carried across No.23). All the windows are sashed without glazing bars. Oversailing eaves with pendent wooden ornament. Gable chimney. INTERIOR: unusually complete survival of original features and fittings as follows: internal porch with square-panelled dado and embossed wallcovering with sunflower motif, stained and painted glazed screen with roundels of birds and flowers, and a border of yellow leaves and flowers; hall with "Aesthetic Movement" embossed dado including fishes, lilies and butterflies, upper border of birds, cornice with egg-and-dart and modillion enrichment; front parlour with Adam-style moulded plaster frieze, panelled ceiling, column to right of window apparently for air-conditioning, fireplace with heavy surround of grey marble and grate with decorated hood, panelled door with embossed decoration on inner side; dining room with dado of embossed rectangular panels, marble fireplace (now painted) with copper hood to grate, door like that to parlour; staircase with dado continued from hall, and cast-iron balusters continued along landing and up to attic; full-width 1st-floor drawing room with arched white marble fireplace; similar fireplace in middle bedroom; bathroom with wooden panelled dado (part missing); 2-room attic; complete suite of 5 cellar rooms, with ducting which appears to have been related to air-conditioning system. HISTORY: occupied from 1877 to 1884 by WH Lever, subsequently Viscount Leverhulme, founder of soap-manufacturing empire, at the time when he was founding his business in Wigan. The interior decoration and fittings of this house are early evidence of the artistic interests of Lord and Lady Leverhulme, and of the earliest origins of the Lady Lever Collection. [References: "Viscount Leverhulme by his son"; Edward Morris "Art and Business in Edwardian England: the Making of the Lady Lever Art Gallery"; C.R.Grundy and S.L.Davison "Illustrated Guide to the Lady Lever Collection"; Elizabeth Aslin "The Aesthetic Movement".] (Viscount Leverhulme by his son; Morris Edward: Art & Business in Edwardian England...the Lady Lever Art Gallery; Grundy CR & Davison L: Illustrated Guide to the Lady Lever Collection; Aslin Elizabeth: The Aesthetic Movement).



Listing NGR: SD5835006213

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Aslin, E, The Aesthetic Movement
Grundy, C R, Davison, S L, Illustrated Guide to the Lady Lever Collection
Morris, E, Art and Business in Edwardian England The Making of the Lady Lever Art Gallery
Other
Viscount Leverhulme by his son,

National Grid Reference: SD 58350 06213

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2018 at 08:12:40.

End of official listing