Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of SALTFORD MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:36:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 68532 67477


ST6867 739-1/6/91 27/02/50

SALTFORD QUEEN SQUARE (North side) Saltford Manor House (Formerly Listed as: KEYNSHAM QUEEN SQUARE, Saltford (North side) Saltford Manor House)


Manor house. c1160 with early C13, C15, 1637, 1645, C19 and mid C20 alterations and additions. Original Norman manor house built by Earl William of Gloucester; major mid C17 remodelling during ownership of two generations of Flower family. Squared and coursed rubble laid in distinct bands to south facade, coursed rubble to north facade, ashlar dressings, copings and gabled single-Roman tile roof to main range, pantiles to west wing; ashlar stacks to west gable end and mid-ridge. PLAN: main range is the extent of the original Norman manor with cellarage and first-floor hall with solar to the east and parlour to the west; in the early C13 the parlour was possibly converted into a chapel. In the C15 the cellar was turned into a living space and the hall horizontally divided into 2 floors. The wing to the west (now in separate ownership and not included in the listing) was probably added in the Tudor period and a further wing was built to the west in the mid C17. Small early C19 outshuts to rear. EXTERIOR: 3-storey; 3-window range. Ground floor to south front has two 3-light ovolo-moulded mullions with casements under flush relieving arches to left of doorway and one 2-light mullion window to right; first floor has similar 2-light mullion windows under continuous string course with relieving arches over; second-floor windows are 2-light mullions set below eaves. C15 diagonal buttress to south-west corner and weathered, carved lion to east gable end. Recessed doorway with flat stone hood and plank door. late C20 glazed door to west wing and two 2-light mullion windows to first floor. North front reveals the Norman origins of the manor with a round-arched mid C12 window to first floor: 2 arched lights with central column and cushion capital and outer colonnettes; 2 tiers of chevron moulding and outer nail-head moulding to arch. This window is set between large buttresses with set-offs. 2-light early C13 window to left-hand at first-floor level with trefoil-cusped heads and quatrefoil above; single-light rectangular window above and to the left lighting staircase. INTERIOR: entrance hallway has massive oak ceiling beams supporting the first-floor hall; spiral staircase with stone treads now covered with wooden planks; round-arched doorway to north wall. Drawing room to left-hand ground floor has C15 fireplace with wave-moulded architrave and broach stops to bases, panelled wooden lintel with central quatrefoil and plaster strapwork overmantel with cartouches flanked by columns. The overmantel has the initials LF/E, AF and the date 1645: this relates to Lamorock Flower, his wife and the older Mrs Flower. Mid C17 marquetry panel above doorway and large mid C12 corbel supporting ceiling on south wall. East wall to staircase and adjacent room has early C13 wall paintings (now boxed in and not visible at time of survey) with imitation masonry, a Virgin and Child and a scene with a Wheel of Fortune. First-floor room to west has the inner face of the mid C12 window with two orders of colonnettes with inner roll-moulding and outer chevron-moulding; stone chimneypiece possibly re-using mid C16 outer mouldings and base stops with initials LF and AF and the date 1637: another Lamorock Flower and his wife; moulded ceiling beam with run-off stops. HISTORICAL NOTE: Saltford Manor is a rare survival of a Norman hall, contemporary with Horton Court in nearby Gloucestershire. The latter was a prebendal house and it can be assumed that Saltford had a direct association with Keynsham Abbey. Saltford Manor House, Dovecote (qv) and Church of St Mary (qv) form a good group. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 254-5; Country Life: Bryan Little: London: 24 July:: 1958-: 178-81).

Listing NGR: ST6853267477


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 254-5
'Country Life' in 24 July, (1958), 178-181


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03108/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].