BAPTIST CHURCH INCLUDING THE FRONT AREA WALLS AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384864
Date first listed:
10-Apr-2000
Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH INCLUDING THE FRONT AREA WALLS AND GATE PIERS, NEWPORT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384864.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 02:39:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH INCLUDING THE FRONT AREA WALLS AND GATE PIERS, NEWPORT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 95493 12811

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 NEWPORT STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/233 (North side) Baptist Church including the front area walls and gate piers

GV II

Baptist church. 1876 by GS Bridgman of Torquay. Front of squared grey Westleigh stone rubble with dressings of Bath stone; some details in a reddish Paignton stone and in cream brick. Rear and side walls in red brick with cream brick dressings. Tarred slated roof with crested ridge-tile and red terracotta finials. STYLE: Italianate medieval design. EXTERIOR: front is 2-storey with dominant gabled centre flanked by lower, narrower wings. Centre has round arched doorway with broad pilasters having foliated capitals; arch has carved spandrels and a gabled hood. Panelled double doors; stone tympanum inscribed in raised letters ENTER INTO HIS GATES WITH THANKSGIVING. Above the doorway a large round arched window containing 4 round arched lights, these arranged in pairs under 2 larger round arches, in the tops of which are 2 blind round panels containing green balls. In the head of the window is a multi-cusped round light, flanked by 2 blind round lights containing red balls. The relieving arch of the window has alternating grey and red voussoirs. Beneath the window, around the head of the doorway below, is a panel of imitation slate hanging in stone. The window contains coloured glass. The gable is finished with 3 large finials, 1 at the apex and 1 at each side, these designed like square columns with friezes above them resembling little belfries, the whole topped by pointed roofs covered with imitation slates. The 2 ground storey windows flanking the centre doorway are round arched, as are the 2 doorways in the wings and the 2 windows above them; all the ground storey openings have gabled hoods echoing the main doorway. Doors are panelled and have traceried fanlights. Windows are of 2 lights with wooden glazing-bars, the lights round arched with a circular light in the window head. Front area wall is of coursed stone with chamfered coping. In it are set 3 pairs of stone gate piers with a matching pier at each end. Piers are square with shaped tops, these designed with gables facing in all 4 directions. Iron gates and the railings on top of the walls are mid or late C20; for a photograph of the original arrangements see H B Case, `History of the Baptist Church in Tiverton, 1607-1907, 1907, opposite p.68. Set into the wall face of the chapel are 2 inscribed stone tablets. That to left reads THESE MEMORIAL STONES WERE LAID BY J LANE ESQRE. JP ON MONDAY APRIL 17th 1876. GLORIO DEO; in smaller letters at the bottom are written G.S. BRIDGMAN ARCHITECT and W. BARRONS & SON BUILDERS. The right-hand tablet reads THE PREVIOUS CHAPEL ADJOINED THIS BUILDING AND WAS BUILT IN 1730 ON THE SITE OF THE OLD MEETING HOUSE. CHURCH FOUNDED 1607. Side walls have in the upper storey round arched windows like those at the front. Beneath them are panels of patterned stonework; ground storey windows have flat stone lintels. Giant pilaster-strips between the windows. Rear wall (clearly visible from The Works) has a 3-bay projecting with pent roof having a gable in the centre, the openings (a doorway flanked by 2 windows) matching the side-walls. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: the facade is a prominent and notable feature in the surrounding townscape. `The Exeter Flying Post', 19.4.1876, p.7 described it in these terms: `The chapel proper will form one large parallelogram, sixty nine feet long and forty five feet wide, irrespective of organ loft and vestries; and so designed that at any future time the vestries and organ loft can be easily removed, and the platform carried back - forming a chapel eighty one feet long by forty five feet wide'. Woodwork was to be of varnished red deal and pitch pine. Organ loft was to be behind the platform, flanked by 2 vestries with classrooms above. There was to be a separate Sunday School; this fronts The Works and is separately listed. According to M Dunsford (Historical Memoirs of the Town and Parish of Tiverton, 1790, p.375), the Civil War fortifications of Tiverton Castle extended as far as the site of the Old Baptist Meeting House.





Listing NGR: SS9549312811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485323
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Case, HB, History of the Baptist Church in Tiverton, 1607-1907, (1907)
Dunsford, , Historical Memoirs of the Town and Parish of Tiverton, (1790), 375
'Exeter Flying Post' in 19th April, (1876), 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16751/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].