This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD BLUNDELLS INCLUDING FORECOURT WALLS ON NORTH EAST AND ENTRANCE ARCH AND GATES AND 2 LODGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD BLUNDELLS INCLUDING FORECOURT WALLS ON NORTH EAST AND ENTRANCE ARCH AND GATES AND 2 LODGES

List entry Number: 1384961

Location

OLD BLUNDELLS INCLUDING FORECOURT WALLS ON NORTH EAST AND ENTRANCE ARCH AND GATES AND 2 LODGES, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tiverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 STATION ROAD, Tiverton 848-1/6/320 Old Blundells, incl forecourt walls 12/02/52 on NE, entrance arch, gates & 2 lodges

GV I

Former school and headmaster's house, now converted into 6 flats. 1604; C19 additions at rear. Ham stone ashlar on a plinth of local, reddish stone ashlar. Rear windows may be of Beer stone. Slated roof. 4 red brick chimneys, just visible behind ridge; probably late C19 or early C20; with spiked pots. PLAN: consists of a very long range, originally divided into higher school (on left), lower school and dining hall, with parlour at right-hand end. There are 3 short rear wings. That to the left, reached by a passage between the higher and lower schools, was the usher's house. That in the middle, reached by a passage between the lower school and the dining hall, contained the kitchen. That on the right was the master's house. Projecting entrance porches fronted the 2 passages. EXTERIOR: single storey originally *upper floor now inserted) with 2-storey entrance porches and rear wings. Front has 3 groups of 3 windows with a pair of gabled porches in the intervening spaces. Windows have 12 stone mullioned and transomed lights arranged in 3 rows of 4. Lights in the 2 upper rows have Tudor arches, while those in the bottom row (a C19 addition) are flat-headed; double-chamfered mullions, the frames with deeply cut hollow mouldings. Straight hoodmoulds. Between the windows are buttresses, another C19 addition. Porches have round-arched doorways, ovolo and ogee moulded with hoodmoulds. Left-hand doorway has iron shoe-scrapers with fleur-de-lys finials. Over the doorways are semicircular niches with round heads containing shell-like carving. Above each of these in the upper storey is a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with Tudor-arched lights and hoodmould, and in the gable a small quatrefoil panel. Within the porches are stone benches with moulded wooden tops. Inner doorways are of stone, Tudor-arched and ovolo-moulded. Whole front has stone corbel table under the eaves. On the roof behind the left-hand porch is an octagonal wooden bell turret (rebuilt in 1840) with an ogee-leaded roof. The base has fish scale slate hanging and, in the front face, a clock. Round-headed, open arcade above with bracketed cornice below the eaves; weather vane with initials PB. The walling (especially in front of the 2 schoolrooms) is carved with many names and C19 dates; these include distinguished Devon families such as Carew, Chichester and Cruwys, and also RD Blackmore. The left end wall has a 15-light mullioned and transomed Ham stone window with straight hoodmould; lights are Tudor arched and arranged in 3 rows of 5. Right end wall, including the side of the headmaster's house, also has Ham stone mullioned and transomed windows with Tudor-arched lights; 2 have leaded lights, that to left of ground storey with heraldic devices in coloured glass. Rear wall has mullioned and transomed windows similar to those at the front. Chimney in rear wall of hall has been cut down and late C20 dormer windows introduced. Stone corbel-table under the eaves. INTERIOR: has been much altered in C19. The 2 schoolrooms are no longer recognisable, and the fine 2-storey screens (with initials PB and date 1604) flanking the passage between them have gone. The best surviving feature is the roof, which remains intact over the former schoolrooms. Almost incredibly old fashioned for its date, it has arch-braced collar beams, from which curved struts rise to the principal rafters; 3 tiers of curved wind-braces arranged in star pattern. The remainder of the main roof, apart from the remains of one truss, is understood to have been destroyed by fire in 1945 or 19476. A number of other details survive, especially at Nos 2 (dining-hall) and 5 (usher's house). The former has original doorways, together with a fireplace in the rear wall. The latter also has an original fireplace, and a stud partition with Tudor-arched doors. There is good C19 work throughout the building. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: in front of the building is a lawned area about 75m square, crossed by cobbled paths and enclosed by a stone wall of local reddish coursed and squared rubble about 3m high. Most of it has a gabled coping; that on the right-hand side appears to be of stone, but that at the front end of the left-hand side seems to be of concrete while the rear part of the left-hand side has a simpler, rounded concrete coping. The quoins at the right-hand end of the front wall are of a different, greyish stone. In the centre of the front wall is the main gateway, rising to a considerably higher level and finished with a small triangular gable. Double-chamfered, round-arched opening with badly-weathered remains of imposts and hoodmould Above it is a stone tablet in a moulded frame, inscribed OLD BLUNDELLS A.D. 1604. Simple iron gates, probably C19, with twisted pendants hanging from the top rail. Flanking the gates, on the inside, are 2 rough-cast, single-storey lodges with slated roofs, gabled towards the school, hipped towards the road. Each has a red brick chimney with octagonal pot, so placed as to form a finial at each end of the gateway. Lodges have small paned, wood casement windows facing the school. HISTORY: Blundells was founded under the will of Peter Blundell (d.1601), an immensely successful Tiverton clothier and merchant. It was the second largest grammar school in the country (up to 150 pupils) and probably the largest in the size of its building. The schoolhouse was sold in 1882 to provide funds for the present school buildings on the outskirts of the town. it was bought back in 1940 with funds collected by the Old Blundellian Club and presented to the school Governors in 1945. It was given to the National Trust in 1954.



Listing NGR: SS9579512489

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 95792 12492

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 05:17:53.

End of official listing