WALDRONS ALMSHOUSES AND ADJOINING CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1384977

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: WALDRONS ALMSHOUSES AND ADJOINING CHAPEL, WELLBROOK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALDRONS ALMSHOUSES AND ADJOINING CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 13:29:59.

Location

Statutory Address: WALDRONS ALMSHOUSES AND ADJOINING CHAPEL, WELLBROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS9506112613

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 WELLBROOK STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/336 Waldron's Almshouses and adjoining 12/02/52 chapel

II*

Almshouses with adjoining chapel. 1579 for John Waldron and his wife (inscription); almshouses restored 1987, chapel restored 1990. Local purple volcanic rubble with Beerstone dressings; gabled slate roof with clay ridge tiles; stone rubble shouldered stacks with slate coping and rebuilt brick shafts with moulded stone cornices. PLAN: chapel at west end, almshouse range to E. The almshouse range has 4 rear lateral stacks and a 2-storey gallery across the front between stone rubble end blocks with an external stair to the first floor at the right (west) end. The almshouse block was designed for 8 men in single rooms. EXTERIOR: 2 storey almshouse range; single-storey chapel. Almshouse has 1:8-bay front. Stone blocks at either end have panels of carving including a ship (Waldron was a merchant) the initials of the patron and the text 'Remember the Poore'. Gallery between has 13 timber Tudor arched openings on a low stone rubble wall with doorways in the 2nd and 12th bays. Behind the gallery the front elevation has 4 Tudor arched doorways with black letter inscription over - Depart they goods while thou hast time/for after thy death they are not thine/God Save Queen Elizabeth/ and 4 one-light windows with ovolo-moulded stone frames. The doorframes are moulded stone with urn stops and carved spandrels; plank and cover strip front doors. Windows all glazed with diamond leaded panes. Above the ground floor openings the gallery front has moulded timbers with plain rectangular sunk panels and 6 modern windows above with boarded panels between. First floor doorways are timber. External stone steps to right with straight joint to main front. The rear elevation preserves good rear lateral stacks. The left (E) return has C20 stone-framed windows. Text across front elevation under eaves with inscription: John Walrond merchant and Richord his wife/builded this house in the time of their life/At such time as the walls were fourteen foot high/He departed this life even the eighteenth of July 1579/Since youth and life doth pass away/and death at-hand to end our days/Let us do so that men may say/We spent our goods God to praise/he that upon the poor doth spend/the goods that he hath here/To God again the same doth send/and pay the same with great increase/. The chapel adjoining at the west end has a projecting porch to the west and a stone gabled west end bellcote. The porch has a moulded doorway with carved spandrels and a deep carved frieze with quatrefoils below a similarly decorated parapet. 2-light window to left of porch has elaborate carved label stops and slightly flamboyant tracery. The west end has a 3-light window withy elaborate carved label stops and flamboyant tracery - mullions replaced. Rear elevation of chapel has one small plain round-headed doorway to west and one 2-light traceried window. INTERIOR: not inspected. Chapel believed to have a wagon roof. HISTORY: according to Harding, writing in 1847, the almshouses were "in a most dilapidated state". A chest tomb to John Waldron survives in the parish church of St Peter between the chancel and the South chancel chapel. It is wholly Gothic in manner. (Harding Lt. Col F G S: The History of Tiverton: 1847-: 79).







Listing NGR: SS9506112613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485436

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harding, F G S, The History of Tiverton, (1847), 79

End of official listing