This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1385195



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Northwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Oct-2000

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Oct-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485657

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ67SE WITTON STREET 1635/5/10013 Northwich 05-OCT-00 51 Plaza Bingo Club


Bingo club, built as the Plaza cinema in 1928 for Cheshire County Cinemas Ltd. Architects: William and Segar Owen of Warrington; job architect probably Geoffrey Owen (1887-1965).

Brick with steel frame, rendered to front, pitched roof. Double-height auditorium with rear balcony. The frame may have been one specially devised to withstand subsidence, a feature of Northwich because of its salt working industry.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical neo-Classical facade standing on a plinth, the central part breaking forward as a serliana with a portico in antis. The portico is approached by five steps so that the entrance, on the inner wall, is level with the top of the plinth. There are two sets of glazed entrance doors, above which is more glazing with diagonal cross-frame glazing bars. Flanking the portico are more areas of similar style glazing. A canopy over the entrance extends to the full width of the projecting area. Above is a frieze, a cornice and then the upper part of the portico in which there is a plaster sculptural group representing a film camera supported by putti, seen against a half-moon device of scrolling plaster, rosettes and honeysuckle. The outer face of the portico has arabesque type plaster decoration with a scrolling keystone. The serliana is surmounted by another cornice and a parapet and its spandrels are enlivened with square panels and roundels. The flanking wings are simply treated with the cornices extending from the projecting section, the wall areas broken in fielded panels. An attic storey with three windows and a stepped cornice lies back from the facade. The pitched roof of the auditorium can be seen rising above the wings. The facade rendering extends a short distance along the return walls; in the right-hand wall are an emergency exit door and two windows in the upper storey. The infilled steel framing of the auditorium is visible further back.

INTERIOR: The small entrance foyer has stairs to the balcony, the metal balustrades of which are of neo-Classical inspiration incorporating circles and ellipses. There is also an original panelled timber and glass pay-box. The side walls of the long double-height auditorium are broken at regular intervals by pilasters with composite capitals combining volutes with the anthemion motif. Between them, low-relief plaster simulates fabric drapes. At the entrance end is a shallow, straight-fronted balcony, with low steppings, while at the other is a segmental topped proscenium bounded by fielded panels and flanked by narrow double doors which serve as emergency exits. There is a simple barrel ceiling divided by plaster mouldings. Shallow stage. Narrow double-doors in the balcony with mouldings of rectangles of rectangles and circles. The balcony seats preserve original material of mottled crushed velvet.

ANALYSIS: A well-preserved example of a cinema dating from the late 1920s, with an exceptionally scholarly neo-Classical facade. The Owens were among the leading architects of Port Sunlight, and a notable local practice. There are many original features both internally and externally, and it is a survivor of unusual completeness. Films ceased in the 1960s.

SOURCES: Andrew Richardson, `Cheshire County Cinemas', in Picture House, no.11, Cinema Theatre Association, winter 1987-8, pp.15-16

Listing NGR: SJ6625574069

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richardson, A, 'Picture House' in No 11, (1987-8), 15-16

National Grid Reference: SJ 66255 74069


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 12:10:48.

End of official listing