DULWICH PICTURE GALLERY AND MAUSOLEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1385543

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: DULWICH PICTURE GALLERY AND MAUSOLEUM, GALLERY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DULWICH PICTURE GALLERY AND MAUSOLEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:32:54.

Location

Statutory Address: DULWICH PICTURE GALLERY AND MAUSOLEUM, GALLERY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 33084 73628

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3373 GALLERY ROAD 636-1/15/359 (East side) 30/06/54 Dulwich Picture Gallery and Mausoleum

GV II*

Art gallery and mausoleum. 1811-14, repaired and partly rebuilt after severe World War II damage, reopening in 1953. Sir John Soane. Redecorated (according to original designs), 1980-1. MATERIALS: yellow brick with stone dressings; C20 glazed lantern roof. PLAN: E-plan comprising sequence of galleries with a mausoleum on the central axis, flanked by small almshouses (converted to galleries late C19) between projecting wings all in severe neo-Greek style. Stone base course and stone frieze and flat cornice continuous around entire building. EXTERIOR: main west front of 2 storeys, 9 main bays. Projecting mausoleum in centre; cruciform plan, 2 stages. Doors in round-arched recesses to each of 3 short arms. Paired, brick angle pilasters support break-front stone entablature, crowned by a stone sarcophagus above each door. 2nd stage a square stone chamber with large leaded windows on all 4 sides. Segmental pediments on square podium above, with urns at corners and urn finial in centre. Interior of mausoleum entrance uses Greek Doric order with shallow dome. Lantern above 'chancel' suppported on arcades. Flanking mausoleum on west front an inner section of 3 round-headed windows in round-arched recesses, with a blank recess at either side and stone cornice over. Windowless 1st-floor well set back, with recessed panels. Projecting 1-bay end sections with segmental-headed blank window on both floors, that on ground floor in segmental-arched recess, between coupled brick angle pilasters. Moulded band at 1st-floor sills. Key pattern to frieze above windows. East front in similar style with entrance hall on axis. Same motifs used with slight variation on east, north and south elevations. Recessed 3-bay sections flanking entrance are copper-roofed. Key pattern to frieze at centre and outer sections. Chimney stacks with Soanean antefixae. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the first public art gallery in England, founded by Sir Francis Bourgeois. Much of collection brought together by art-dealer for King Stanislas of Poland, Noel



Desenfans. Mausoleum contains remains of Mr and Mrs Desenfans and of Sir Francis Bourgeois.



Listing NGR: TQ3308473628

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 470946

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing