BRIDGE OVER NORTH END, LONDON BRIDGE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385629
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1998
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE OVER NORTH END, LONDON BRIDGE STATION, JOINER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE OVER NORTH END, LONDON BRIDGE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385629.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:56:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE OVER NORTH END, LONDON BRIDGE STATION, JOINER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32900 80260

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3374SE JOINER STREET 636-1/17/869 Bridge over north end, London Bridge 08/01/98 Station

II

Bridge. 6 composite cast- and wrought-iron trusses built to James Warren's 1848 patent. Reconstructed after collapse of newly-built original in 1850. Constructed to carry extension to London Bridge Station forecourt. Converted to pedestrian use in 1890. Span varying from approx 15m to approx 21m, depth approx 1.6m. Spaced at approx 4.2m centres, beneath flat-soffit, solid deck of original cast-iron plates. Comprised of individual panels of cast-iron in form of 60 degree triangles, bolted together at top corner to form chord. Downward pointing apexes pinned to bottom chord of wrought-iron flat chain, each approx 152mm x 3mm (6in x 5/8in). A rare survival of a structure assembled from cast- and wrought-iron components forming a Warren truss. Illustrative of structural thinking in the 1840s, in which the two forms of iron were used compositely. The tendency of cast-iron to fracture led to a preference for wrought-iron in such situations.





Listing NGR: TQ3290080260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471033
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/05723/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].