9A, ST THOMAS STREET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- 9A, ST THOMAS STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385873.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 08:39:59.
- Statutory Address:
- 9A, ST THOMAS STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Greater London Authority
- Southwark (London Borough)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 32763 80190
TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET 636-1/17/735 (North side) 06/12/49 No.9A (Formerly Listed as: ST THOMAS'S STREET (North side) Chapter House of Southwark Cathedral)
Parish Church of St Thomas, now offices and museum. c1702-03. Used as chapter house for Southwark Cathedral, 1901-80, and part as operating theatre for St Thomas' Hospital. Early craftsmen included Thomas Cartwright, mason and Jonathan Maine, carver. 1901-2 conversion by Arthur Bartlett. MATERIALS: brown-red brick with stone dressings and slate roof. STYLE: plain Queen Anne style. PLAN: rectangular plan with advanced, square-plan tower of 4 storeys to south west. EXTERIOR: main elevation to street has one storey of 4 bays and sunken basement, while north elevation has attic dormers and lower level exposed. Main elevation has 4 round-headed windows with stone architraves and cherub head keystones, leaded lights incorporating stained-glass shields. Rusticated stone quoins and moulded stone cornice with pediment set against brick parapet with stone capping. Tower with rusticated quoins has doors in stone architraves on east and south faces, with segmental pediments and carved tympanum. At 1st-floor level a circular opening with moulded stone architrave on south, east and west faces (one on west blocked up); round-headed, louvred windows in stone architraves with keystones, one at 2nd-floor and one at 3rd-floor levels on each face. Stone bands at 2nd and 3rd floors, and moulded stone cornice surmounted by brick parapet with stone pedestals at angles and in middle of each face. (Altered) North elevation has 4 tall, straight-headed sash windows with glazing bars and red rubbed brick dressings, divided by attached Ionic pilasters with swags supporting modillion cornice. Lower level was formerly open cloister space underneath the north gallery of the church. INTERIOR: has panelled galleries with oak mouldings to north and west sides, original oak reredos with fluted, Corinthian pilasters under open segmental pediment with Royal Arms in panelled cresting having crown above and supporters either side; and side sections with obelisks over triangular pediments. Finely moulded modillion cornice with interspersed paterae over egg-and-dart moulding. Staircase with turned balusters to gallery. Wainscoting renewed c1900-01. Restored clock of 1757 by William Parr. In attic, and now approached by tower staircase, is the old operating theatre of St Thomas's Hospital (1822-62), rediscovered in 1957 and furnished with reproduction gallery and appurtenances of surgeons' trade. Recently opened, along with the former herb garret, as a museum. HISTORICAL NOTE: church built as part of rebuilding scheme for old St Thomas's Hospital between 1680 and 1732, of which only it, and No.9 adjacent (qv) remain. Continued as a parish church until 1898. 1901-2 reordered inside for use as chapter house. North elevation is treated in same way as that of adjoining No.9 (qv) which was rebuilt for hospital at same time. Together they form one of the more important survivals of Queen Anne architecture in London). This building forms a group with Nos 9-15 (qqv).
Listing NGR: TQ3276680185
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing