This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1385877



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471296

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET 636-1/17/739 (South side) 27/09/72 Guy's Hospital main building including wings and chapel (Formerly Listed as: ST THOMAS'S STREET (South side) Guy's Hospital including Centre Block, West Wing and Chapel)


Hospital and chapel. 1721-5 & 1728 with other C18 additions, part rebuilt later C20. Ranges around inner quadrangles, 1721-5; central main entrance block by Thomas Dance, 1728 (remodelled by Richard Jupp, 1774); east wing originally by James Steere, 1738-41, completely rebuilt in facsimile after World War II; chapel and west wing by Richard Jupp, 1774-7. MATERIALS: centre block: multi-coloured stock brick and Portland stone; slate mansard with dormers behind brick parapet over stone cornice to outer sections. Wings similar, with stucco to ground floor; slate mansard with dormers with alternating triangular and segmental pediments to side sections behind brick parapet above stone cornice. PLAN: large forecourt with buildings on 3 sides, 2 inner quadrangles behind. EXTERIOR: centre block: 3 storeys, sunk basement and attic, 13 bays. Projecting central frontispiece of 5 bays in stone with rusticated ground floor containing 5 round-headed openings with rusticated voussoirs, the central 3 bays, with decorative wrought-iron gates and fanlights, forming an open arcade leading to the cloister behind, the outer ones glazed in round-headed recesses. Above, 4 giant Ionic attached columns flanked by 2 giant Ionic pilasters rise through 1st and 2nd floors to support entablature with paterae in frieze, with pediment above over central, slightly projecting 3 bays. 3 panels with bas reliefs of putti between 1st- and 2nd-floor windows, statues of Aesculapius and Hygeia in niches at 1st floor, and allegorical figures in tympanum all by John Bacon. Stone rustication continues across outer sections of ground floor, which are set in advance of upper floors and have rusticated voussoirs to recessed round-headed windows, and balustraded parapet above. All windows are sashes with glazing bars and flat, gauged-brick arches. West wing: 3 storeys and attic, 15 bays. Slightly projecting central section of 5 bays with ground-floor of rusticated

stone containing round-headed sash windows with glazing bars in round-headed recesses with rusticated voussoirs and plain band at spring, the central opening a double door of 8 panels with radial fanlight, cornice head, and iron gates with overhanging lamp holder. Keystones support cornice with broad band above containing balustraded panels beneath 1st-floor windows. Stone architraves to 1st- and 2nd-floor windows, with pulvinated friezes and alternating triangular and segmental pediments over cornices to 1st-floor windows. Stone-coped pediment above stone cornice containing clock face. Side sections are stucco at ground floor with similar windows and doors with keystones supporting cornice beneath broad band at 1st-floor sills continuous with that across central section. All 1st- and 2nd-floor windows are sashes with glazing bars, outer sections with gauged, flat brick arches. Gabled end of 5 bays to street. East wing (Boland House): a copy of west wing except that it has a sunk basement, a wind-vane dial in the pediment instead of a clock, and no doors to side sections or iron gates with overhanging lamp holder to central door. Unmatching, pedimented 5 bay end to street. Chapel in centre block of west wing: Richard Jupp c1775 with remodelling of sanctuary, 1959. Almost square plan with galleries on 3 sides, altar at west end. Chapel, which is approached through narrow vestibule beneath east gallery which contains stairs leading to galleries, has aisle of 4 bays formed by Ionic columns supporting north and south galleries. A 5th bay to the west contains the sanctuary in the centre, a vestry to the north and an organ chamber to the south. Entablature above columns has dentil cornice and fluted frieze with paterae, which continues along west wall, broken only by round arch with blue marble architrave, above altar. Round-arched (later) stained-glass windows to central 3 bays of sanctuary, a square-headed leaded one to each gallery either side. 5 sash windows to east gallery. Doors with radial fanlights to vestibule at east end. In centre, a shallow niche with a monument in white marble to Thomas Guy by John Bacon, 1779. It depicts the founder assisting a sick man into his hospital which is shown in relief in the background. A decorative cast-iron railing forms semi-circle around. Groin-vaulted plaster gallery roof supported on columns with foliage capitals. Flat plaster ceiling to main body of chapel with circular motif in centre and framed by groined semi-vaults. Quadrangle ranges south of main entrance: rectangular plan with 2 inner courtyards separated by a loggia of 10 bays with round-headed arches on stone piers running north/south.

Elevations to courtyards of 3 storeys with attic in mansard roof, east/west elevations 8 bays, north/south elevations 7 bays. Round-headed arches to stone ground-floor with keystones and impost blocks, originally filled in c1780 with windows (and some doors). Upper floors of brick have segmental, gauged-brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars. Much rebuilt after war damage. INTERIOR: not inspected. The chapel is a unique survival, the only C18 hospital chapel in England. It was restored in 1980. (Survey of London: Roberts H: Bankside: London: 1950-).

Listing NGR: TQ3273080143

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Bankside The Parishes of St Saviour and Christchurch Southwark: Volume 22 , (1950)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32793 80084


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:01:05.

End of official listing