CLAPHAM SOUTH DEEP TUBE SHELTER AND SURFACE BUILDING AT WANDSWORTH ENTRANCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385900
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1998
Statutory Address:
CLAPHAM SOUTH DEEP TUBE SHELTER AND SURFACE BUILDING AT WANDSWORTH ENTRANCE, BALHAM HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385900.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 11:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLAPHAM SOUTH DEEP TUBE SHELTER AND SURFACE BUILDING AT WANDSWORTH ENTRANCE, BALHAM HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28781 74153

Details

TQ 2874 BALHAM HILL

1207/13/10090 Clapham South Deep Tube Shelter and surface Building at Wandsworth Entrance

GV II

Deep underground shelter, erected as an extension to Clapham South Underground Station, which is already listed. 1940-2 by D C Burn for the Home office; Mott, Hay and Anderson engineers - G W Ellis and H C Webb the principal individual engineers concerned, in consultation with London Transport. Lined in reinforced concrete with steel fixings; main shafts of reinforced concrete with steel reinforced pillboxes designed to minimize the risk of flooding from shattered drains. Two main shafts descend from surface, one in LB Wandsworth, one in LB Lambeth. Stairs connection from Clapham South station, now blocked at the top, leads to central lobby between two tunnels, each 16'6" in diameter and 1,400 feet in length, and with ancillary tunnels 9' and 12'3" wide linking them regularly and to lift shafts. Each main tunnel slightly curved, with concrete horizontal floor to make two levels. The tunnels were divided into sections, each with a different military name, served by a canteen and eight lavatory tunnels. Some 1940s iron bunks and painted signage remain, along with graffiti from the 1940s and 1950s, making this the most complete surviving and atmospheric of the deep underground shelters.

The deep tube shelters were a response by the Home Secretary to the need for safe accommodation for essential services such as telephone services, government offices and military personnel. In 1936 the Home Secretary formed the Technical Committee on Structural Precautions Against Air Attack, which led to the development of ARP under Sir Alexander Rouse, who believed that deep shelters were the only safe defence against bombing. Eight special shelters were erected, of which seven were used by the general public during the V1 and V2 rocket raids of 1944, and subsequently by National Servicemen. They were designed so that they could be used by London Transport after the war as by-pass tunnels, creating a fast non-stop service past some of the smaller stations on the Northern and Central Lines, but this never happened. Clapham South is the only one to retain original signage, and one of the few to retain original bedsteads; it forms a group with the listed station by Charles Holden from which it is now separated by a brick infil wall. Source: Nigel Pennick, `Bunkers Under London', 1988

Listing NGR: TQ2878174153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471319
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pennick, N, Bunkers Under London, (1988)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11848/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].