SOUTHWARK CENTRAL LIBRARY AND CUMING MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1386027
Date first listed:
17-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
SOUTHWARK CENTRAL LIBRARY AND CUMING MUSEUM, WALWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHWARK CENTRAL LIBRARY AND CUMING MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 16:18:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTHWARK CENTRAL LIBRARY AND CUMING MUSEUM, WALWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32227 78589

Details

TQ3278 636-1/8/838

SOUTHWARK WALWORTH ROAD (East side) Southwark Central Library and Cuming Museum

GV II Public library and museum. 1892-1893, museum 1902-1906. By architect Edward I'Anson; builder J Grover and Sons; constructed out of parish rates by a special vestry committee. The museum was the gift of Henry Syer Cuming, in memory of his father Richard. MATERIALS: red brick in Flemish bond with stone and terracotta dressings; roofs of slate. STYLE: Dutch Renaissance Revival. EXTERIOR: library: four storeys over basement, stepping up to five in five over centre in scroll gable; four-window range; single-storey library wing and entrance projecting from facade to line of pavement, its roof parapeted. All openings to ground-floor projection round-arched, with the entrance in third-window range set under a gabled aedicule on scroll brackets, the entablature of which bears an inscription, "Newington Public Library". Stone entablature and parapet to single-storey projection. Stone springing band to these and all other windows.

First and second-floor windows to main elevation gathered together under two-storey basket arches; the former flat-arched, the latter round-arched; storey band between first and second floors, springing band to second floor; keystones of basket arches intersect entablature which forms a sill band to third-floor windows, which are flat-arched and doubled, those in the outer ranges slightly narrower than the pair in the centre. Each bay of the third floor separated by pilasters, and an entablature with dentil cornice above lintels. The centre bays continue above the parapet terminating in a Dutch scroll gable pierced by a pair of flat-arched windows, set in a three-bay Tuscan aedicule; small keyed roundel in the very peak of the gable. The bays are marked above the parapet by finials. Cupola on axis with gable; to either side of gable are roundel dormers. Clustered stacks to fire wall.

On the short left return the library bears a 1914-1918 war memorial plaque. Plaque to the left of the entrance bears the following inscription: This stone laid on the 1st of November, 1892 by the Rev. Canon Palmer, MA, Rector of the Parish. Commissioners, GT Palmer, Chairman, HA Bridges, RC Davis, J Hattersley, TJ Hester, WJ Miles, N Nokes, J Piggott, GH Wavell, LJ Dunham Hon. Sec. EB I'Anson Architect and J Grover and Son Builder.

The exterior of the museum was not accessible. INTERIOR: museum at rear of the complex, reached by a stair with handrail and balusters of original design, the ceiling to stair hall a half barrel vault supported by arched braces. Museum space is barrel-vaulted hall, the ceiling rebuilt; two storeys high, the long axis of which runs parallel to Walworth Road. The Library and former Vestry Hall, Walworth Road (qv) form an important group.









Listing NGR: TQ3222778589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471448
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04553/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].