CHURCH OF SAINT ANN (BUILDING NUMBER 1/65)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1386817
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANN (BUILDING NUMBER 1/65), ANCHOR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ANN (BUILDING NUMBER 1/65)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 04:20:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANN (BUILDING NUMBER 1/65), ANCHOR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63171 00567

Details

SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE 774-1/29/185 (South side) HM Naval Base 25.9.72 Church of St Ann (Building No 1/65)

GV II

Church. 1785-86; bomb-damaged 1941; restored 1955-6. Possibly by Marquand, a Navy Board surveyor, working under Samuel Wyatt at Admiralty House, contractors Thomas Parlby & Sons. Red brick in Flemish bond; roof concealed. PLAN/EXTERIOR: 5-bay galleried nave (originally longer) with narrower 1- bay "crossing" and narrower-still 1-bay chancel with north and south vestries. At west end, cupola with bell. Plinth. Windows have brick arches, segmental on ground floor, round to gallery; ashlar sills; and C20 metal windows. Stepped eaves with ashlar cornice below coped parapet. West end: (rebuilt 1955-8); 3-bays. Corner pilasters support corniced pediment in which is blind oculus. Steps up to central pedimented ashlar porch with wide double door in architrave. Outer bays each have a flat- arched window linked by recessed brick panel to round- arched upper window; central upper window with keystone. Cupola (reconstructed) has columns supporting entablature and metalled dome surmounted by elaborate weather-vane on ball. INTERIOR: gallery on 3 sides (reconstructed 1955-56) carried on columns with fluted capitals has panelled corniced front, and at centre early C18 carved wooden coat of arms of the Gifford family, incorporating royal coat of arms, figures of Justice (blindfolded and carrying scales) and Fame (with trumpet), and dolphins (Sir William Gifford was Commissioner of the dockyard from 1702-1705). Nave and chancel have panelled walls and ceiling cornice. Chancel arch flanked by pilasters surmounted by urns and with swagged drapes over arch. East window has pilasters with acanthus leaf capitals and "scalloped" archivolt with central laurel wreath; swagged drapes over. To nave ceiling, large elaborate chandelier roundel with acanthus leaf motifs and decorated scalloping; elegant pewter chandelier of 1704 (gilded 1956). Marble font of 1856. Eagle lectern 1882, Gothick-style wooden pulpit of 1906. Various C19 marble memorials. HISTORY: the oldest surviving chapel in a navy yard and part of a good group with the ropery buildings and Commissioner's House (qqv). Graded to reflect the extensive mid C20 rebuilding of the front and refurnishing of the interior. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 71-72; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 436- 7; The Church of St Ann in Her Majesty's Naval Base at Portsmouth: 1991).



Listing NGR: SU6317100567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474226
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Church of St Ann in Her Majestys Naval Base at Portsmouth, (1991)
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 16
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 71-72
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1985), 436-437

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].