Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387811.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:38:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 31723 74343



SJ3174 VILLAGE STREET, Burton Village 794-1/11/15 (North side) 27/12/62 Church of St Nicholas


Parish church. C12 and C14; re-ordered 1721 on datestone over south door; restoration and chancel rebuilt 1870. MATERIALS: coursed red sandstone; grey slate roofs with stone coped gables and sandstone ridges. PLAN: continuous nave and chancel; north aisle, continuous chapel and north vestry; west tower. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 4-stage tower with south and west doors of nail-studded oak under semicircular heads with keystones and ogee architraves. The tower is divided into stages by projecting bands, the lower band inscribed with the names of trustees, mason, carpenter, and date of remodelling. Above the south door there is a semicircular headed window with imposts and keystone and leaded glazing: at third stage, a single hand clock dial. Bell-chamber openings are louvred with Y-traceried heads. Moulded cornice and plain solid parapet. Twin gabled east end has 2-stage buttresses diagonally at outer angles and between gables: both have 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, that to north chapel dating to 1380. North and south walls have simple round headed lights in pairs surmounted by a circular light, all recessed within a slightly projecting semicircular arch, with flanking pilasters and sill. Ogee-moulded eaves cornice and solid coped parapet. On the south side, a multi-stepped buttress separates nave from chancel. Chancel south windows are paired lancets with quatrefoils above. North vestry has two trefoil-headed lancets in the gable end. Stone gable crosses to chancel and vestry. INTERIOR: 5-bay north arcade based on Tuscan columns and with keystones to the arches. 5-panel oak altar, without reredos fronted by Jacobean style communion rail with alternate twisted and turned balusters. Choir stalls with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs fronted by oak rail with trefoil and quatrefoil tracery which incorporates an earlier pulpit. Massey Chapel to north has plain altar table fronted by simple rail and oak verticals. Vestry door of pine boards on strap hinges in shouldered arch. Pews are of pine with alternate spade and fleur-de-lys pewends. Stained glass by Kempe in chancel east window. Wood commandment boards of 1700 above tower arch with war memorials

below. Massey memorials, marble 1579, alabaster 1794; Congreve hatchment 1820. Set of 5 bells date from 1724. Roofs: continuous nave and chancel roofs of bracketed collar trusses incorporating cusped wind braces, exposed purlins, ridge trees, ashlars and rafters. Trusses are seated on wooden and stone corbels.

Listing NGR: SJ3172374343


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08849/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].