SWAN LANE MILLS NUMBERS 1 AND 2

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388070

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1974

Statutory Address: SWAN LANE MILLS NUMBERS 1 AND 2, HIGHER SWAN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWAN LANE MILLS NUMBERS 1 AND 2
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:27:43.

Location

Statutory Address: SWAN LANE MILLS NUMBERS 1 AND 2, HIGHER SWAN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD7074007548

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON

SD70NW HIGHER SWAN LANE 797-1/4/123 (West side) 26/04/74 Swan Lane Mills Nos. 1 AND 2

GV II*

Formerly known as: Cotton Mill HIGHER SWAN LANE. Cotton spinning mills. Built in 2 phases to form a double mill 1903 and 1906. Stott and Sons of Oldham, architects. Brick with flat concrete roof built to house reservoir, and internal construction of cast-iron columns and brick arched ceilings. Although the mills were built separately, they form a single block and were built to a common style. No.1 mill (to the west) was built in 1903, with No.2 mill added in 1906. EXTERIOR: both mills are 5 storeys with a basement; No.1 mill is 25x5 bays, No.2 mill 23x6 bays. Both have wide segmentally arched windows, many blind in end walls, and some blocked in principal elevations. Neither mill has an internal subdivision, the processes separated by storeys, although the end walls of both mills now form an important lateral division separating processes. Projecting stair towers towards each end in south wall. Projecting double engine house to north-west. apparently built as a double house with No.1 mill in anticipation of the addition of No.2 mill; rope race tower projecting behind it. Minimal decoration to both mills, comprising yellow brick eaves band and stone dentilled cornice, with some Italianate detail on the towers, which have balustraded parapets. No.1 mill has single storey and basement extension to north side, possibly originally a card room extension, but now forming warehousing. No.2 mill has 2 storey office block attached to the mill adjacent to the site entrance. Chimney with emblem of swan in white lettering (not surviving to its full original height) adjacent to the engine houses, and possible boiler houses alongside. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: at the time of completion of the second mill, the complex formed the largest spinning mill in the world. In 1914, Swan Lane Mill No.3 (qv) was added to the site. (Williams M: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: London: 1993-).





Listing NGR: SD7074007548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476068

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williams, M , Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester, (1992)

End of official listing